Homosexual Couples Deserve the Right to Adopt | Teen Ink

Homosexual Couples Deserve the Right to Adopt

...I grew up in foster care. I lived in over 45 different homes by the time I was 18, then I was left to fend for myself. It is disgusting that some people would rather have a child go through life in the foster care system than have a stable loving home with two caring people, regardless of who and how they love. I would have given anything for that home as a child. I wouldn’t have cared if it were two men, two women, a man and a woman, or a single man or woman as long as I was theirs and they were mine. It is far more damaging to child to move from place to place, never having stability than to be raised by two members of the same gender.

Amy Campbell

This story relates to children living in foster care today. Many children have been put through multiple homes and uncaring parents because the state is too scared to put them in the hands of a homosexual couple. United States courts that deny homosexual couples the right to vote have three main fears in mind. These fears are that the development of a child’s sexual identity will be impaired, that the child’s personal development could be corrupted, and that the child will find difficulty in social relationships. While many of these accusations may seem valid, they can all be proven incorrect.

Homosexual couples deserve the right to adopt a child and to create their own family. It is both necessary to the children in foster care, and a gift to these loving and caring homosexual couples. Homosexual couples are just as deserving and capable of raising a child as any heterosexual couple might be; they have the same potential qualities and stable environments. Gay couples have the same abilities and love needed to raise a child as any “straight” couple. Homosexual couples deserve the same opportunities as a straight couple.

Currently in the United States, eight states say that homosexual couples can not adopt, eight allow, and thirty-four have no legislation or are on a case by case basis. That is forty-two states (Utah and Florida have the strictest laws against homosexual adoption and don’t allow it under and circumstances) where children are denied a home because they don’t allow homosexual couples to adopt for various reasons; whether it be discrimination against their sexual preferences, or on the same reasoning as homosexuals can not marry, or they may believe that a homosexual environment would be unsafe for the child. These states (mainly the eight states completely against these couples adopting) believe that these children will not be treated as well or get the same opportunities if they have homosexual parents. When in reality, children in foster care would much rather live in a loving home with gay parents then be stuck in a foster home.

We as a nation need to stop discriminating and start doing the “right thing.” These children need homes and if a homosexual couple meets the criteria then they deserve to adopt and give these children the shelter they deserve. These laws prohibiting homosexual couples from adopting need to be changed and/or altered to give these children a chance to have a family. Gay couples are just as educated and can be just as financially and emotionally capable of raising a child as a heterosexual couple. Everyone deserves a family, no matter their sexual orientation. Homosexual deserve the right to adopt children; and all children deserve to have a family.

on Dec. 16 2010 at 7:39 pm
diaphragm BRONZE, Tallahassee, Florida
I completely agree with this article! And I'm ashamed of my state (Florida) for thinking otherwise :(

Buizel said...
on Nov. 22 2008 at 1:18 am
I completely agree with this. After all, homosexual couples are the most likely to adopt, and we need more adoptions in the US.

Taz said...
on Aug. 17 2008 at 7:01 pm
It would be even more devastaing for more children to be raised by a same sex couple then a hetrosexual one. Also, since I think homosexuality is a learned behavior it would confuse many children and teens.

on Aug. 15 2008 at 2:27 pm
good points one complaint adoption is a privilege not a right your you'd have the pedophile down the street with a harem of adopted children