The N-Word | Teen Ink

The N-Word

Today I ran across the topic of using the big n-word. To me it's just a word I may use while talking with friends, joking around. My friends don't take it offensively neither do I. We use it as kind of like a slang for pal.
Let's take it back to a little less than 50 years ago when people of my kind would use that word. It led to violence especially when a white man said it. People felt the n-word was a form of discimination and it really was. It hurt for someone to say hey n**** or move n****. I know it would have hurt me.
As I said before the n-word in most cases isn't exactly used in a racist way anymore. I find myself saying it very often. So why do we chastise a white man for the usage of the word? Is it because (some not all) have given it to us? If that were the case why don't we get offensive when our parents call us by our names? They gave it to us.
Rappers and athletes use the n-word very often. Life today has everyone listening to rap. Whites, hispanics, russians, and blacks. Isn't it ironic that people of other races are starting to take hold of the word too. Rappers mention all the time that they make music for the world not just for the people capable of using the n-word. That's just like telling the church choir that the music is made for everone's ears but the only ones able to follow along and sing are the ones who are saved.
After today I left myself wondering, Do I end this habit of using the n-word or do I remain a victim of my own words. I do strongly feel that in this day as I speak that I do not mean any harm in using the word. But does it make us racist for limiting ourselves to who can use the word and who cannot?

Chrissy_L GOLD said...
on Jun. 1 2009 at 12:50 am
Chrissy_L GOLD, Ramsey, New Jersey

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

The n word is not an acceptable thing to say. Teenagers who think they are cooler than they are use it, when it is really an awful, racist name for an African American. It's not a word that deserves to exist, let alone be used.

Taz said...
I personally don't think anyone should use the n-word, regardless of race. Just more people that offense to it if a (for lack of better word) white person used it because especially in the past it meant that you where somehow less of a human.