A Life Changing Experience | Teen Ink

A Life Changing Experience

October 4, 2012
By Anonymous

Melissa Collins
English 10R


I am fifteen years old and there is one event that has changed who I am as a person forever. My best friend J B and I have been constantly with each other for the past five years of our lives. We look at each other’s family members as our own. We share everything; our secrets, clothes and friends. Even our grandparents think of us as sisters and are very close to both of us. One day J called me crying hysterically and immediately my stomach hurt. J is someone who laughs at everything and is always happy. So on this day I knew something bad must have happened. She started rambling that her and her mother found her grandmother on the ground. Mimi is J’s grandmother and is very close to both of us. She always helped us whenever we needed her and was someone you could talk to about anything.
I immediately called my mother telling her that I didn’t know what to do for my friend and she came home from work to console me. Later that night I got the phone call I was dreading all day. When I picked up the phone and heard J’s voice, I knew that mimi wasn’t going to make it. She told me he had to visit her one last time in the hospital to say her goodbyes. I was so upset for my friend, but still didn’t realize the impact it would really have on me. I continually texted her all night, making sure she was all right. The next morning J called with numbness in her voice saying mimi had passed away. I called out to my mother who hugged me and said it will be alright, just be there for my friend.
For the next couple day I was constantly on the phone with J listening to her cry and say her life would never be the same. I brought her cupcakes and flowers with another friend of ours and sat with her family. The next day my mom brought my friends and I to the wake and, although very sad, I held my composure and got through this for my friend. It was the first time I saw an actually dead body in a casket. I looked at her and wondered what she was thinking or if she was already in Heaven. I knelt down to pray for God to take this wonderful women and wished we were at her house all laughing together.
The next day we all scrambled around to get dressed for the funeral. My mom brought us again and when we walked into the church I was much more nervous than the day before. Part of this was because J was on the phone with me the night before worried because she was getting up in front of everyone to talk about her grandmother. I was so nervous for her and so was my mom. When the ceremony started I looked over at the family members who were crying and immediately started to cry also. I couldn’t stop my body from shaking and the tears wouldn’t stop. My mom kept hugging me, but my emotions just took over and I couldn’t stop. I started to think of all the times my own grandparents have helped me and have been such a big part of my life. I realized, at that moment in the church, that I’ve taken them for granted and it could be my family up there looking at my grandmother in the casket. I realized how important my grandparents were to me and that I wanted to change my relationship with them.
As my friend got up and read her grandmother’s eulogy talking about all the wonderful times she had with her, I couldn’t help picturing my grandmother. The memories came through my mind and I couldn’t stop crying. Once the ceremony was over I realized that I had cried through the entire thing. I not only cried for my friend and her family, but for me. I realized for the first time in my life that I could wake up one day and be told that one of my grandparents had passed. It was the first time I actually think of my life without my grandparents. What my best friend went through changed her life but also changed mine. I will never take my family members for granted again. I want to spend as much time as I can with my grandparents, and I look at them differently now. I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for my wonderful grandparent and all that they’ve done for me. Everyday I miss J’s grandmother and she is still very sad. I did learn a great lesson from this terrible loss. Even in mimis death she taught me something that I will never forget.


The author's comments:
life changing