Band vs. Orchestra | Teen Ink

Band vs. Orchestra

May 29, 2008
By Anonymous

The modern day concert band and orchestra share a number of commonalities as well as differences, with the primary differences actually stemming from the fact that the concert band is a newer creation while the orchestra retains a more distant past. The most notable areas of comparison are the groups’ repertoire, their instruments, and their goals. Through these similarities and differences, the two groups thrive and have learned to share the stage together.


First off, the most contrasting part of both groups is the repertoire which they have accumulated and continue to gain over time. As the modern concert band is fairly young and a new creation, the music has only begun to truly reach its and the musicians potential. This is evident, as the most notable band music has all been written within roughly the past hundred years. Many concert bands play these but often turn their focus to pieces which have been written recently, often being just a few months in publication. This has actually created quite a market in modern band composition, drawing in many new music majors and helping to increase the amount of new music. On the other hand, there is the orchestral music. Due to the orchestra’s long and extensive history, leading back centuries in Europe, there is a somewhat standard repertoire of what is considered by most to be the “great” orchestral pieces, leading to a lack of support in new music and a lack of interest in modern day composers, leaving them to turn to band music instead. This, as one might expect, causes orchestras to replay the same music, while numerous, still not being anything new, as enjoyed by the modern concert band.


The next and most notable difference to those unaware of more discreet ones, is the instruments themselves. Stringed instruments carry a long tradition throughout the world, dating back through recorded history. They all share the same characteristics for the most part, both the good and the bad. Along with this is the instruments tendency to sound best in sharp keys, explaining why orchestral music is often written in these. On the opposite end of the spectrum are the wind instruments played in a concert band. These have a more diverse history, as they all originated from different areas and purposes. One of the most notable is that of the brass, dating back to horns only capable of a couple of notes, which were originally used in Europe for military purposes, primarily long distance communication and controlling armies in battle. This eventually led to their enhancement and improvement, allowing them to be played for more enjoyable practices, such as simply for entertainment. It is through these differences that much of the music written for band and orchestra differ, due to the different instruments capabilities and preferences.


Finally, there are the goals of the two different ensembles. While each group uses different means, instruments, and reads different works, the goals of the band and orchestra since their creation have been simple. The primary goal is to communicate some emotion or response from the listener through their interpretation of a piece. It is in this that the two different groups can find their most common ground. These goals set forth by the players, leaders, and conductors of these ensembles give the groups purpose and drive with which to motivate them. It is in this sense of mission to perform which the modern day concert band and orchestra share their most common themes and ideas with one another.


So in reality, while the present day concert band and orchestra have numerous differences, particularly their instruments and the literature which they play, they are actually quite similar. Through their goals, missions, and purposes, the concert band and orchestra are able to find much common ground. Finally, it is these similarities and differences which make these ensembles unique and enjoyable to this day.