One Chance Too Many: Why David Archuleta Should Not Win American Idol (And David Cook Should) | Teen Ink

One Chance Too Many: Why David Archuleta Should Not Win American Idol (And David Cook Should)

May 14, 2008
By Anonymous

Many people say that Season 7 of American Idol is the best yet. The competition is better and all of the singers are equally talented; there was no “definite winner” from the start. But have you realized that many of the top twelve competitors already had their chance at fame? Brooke White and Michael Johns were stars on the rise, both with already released solo-albums. Carly Smithson made a record in 2001 and sold less than 400 albums in the first three months. She then auditioned for American Idol Season 5, and made it to Hollywood, but was disqualified because her visa had expired. And last but not least, David Archuleta: the short, but sweet boy with the beautiful voice. The cute, innocent seventeen-year-old who was at first nervous about being on stage alone, was the winner of the Star Search on CBS in 2003.

After winning Star Search—and receiving $100,000 for it—Archuleta suffered from a vocal chord paralysis. Unable to make an album, Archuleta lay low for a while, singing at his church and local functions. When the opportunity to audition for American Idol Season 7 arose, he seized it and, with little trouble, made it to Hollywood. But based on the past, this kid has had one chance too many.

David Archuleta and David Cook: the only two idols who—so far—have not been in the bottom three. Why is that so? Is it because they genuinely deserve it, or is it because none of the voting population can be out-voted by Archuleta’s immense fan base (comprised of mostly teenage girls and their mothers)? Archuleta may have the mature voice and the innocence that seems to have vanished from Hollywood these days, but does he have that “star quality” that up-and-coming artists need? David Cook, another contestant on American Idol’s Season 7 Top 12, is a clear favorite of both the judges and America. Cook has the charisma and stage presence of a real star and deserves to win Idol not because of what he looks like, but because of who he is.

As talented as Archuleta is, we need to pave the way for more deserving singers. Isn’t winning Star Search enough? Let’s give someone else a chance this time around and not vote for David Archuleta this week.