A Revelation on Modesty | Teen Ink

A Revelation on Modesty

Recently, I have made a discovery that will change my life, and my outlook on modesty. I have always felt that being modest was following my school’s dress code, you know, the ever- famous, “no straps thinner than two fingers, shorts must reach to your finger-tips,” and all the rest of those popular precepts. Within the last week or so, my ideals were flipped, spun, and shaken up! I always preach about the significance of modesty, and try to hold out as long as possible, but I always end up breaking down and wearing short shorts and thin tank tops, “just to keep cool.” Well when giving in, I am encouraging society’s view that girls should wear as little clothing as possible, and guys are allowed to just stand around and gawk. That view is totally messed up in my opinion! We need to show love and respect to each other, and I believe that we can only care about somebody that we think of as a friend. How many guys gawk at their male friends the way they gawk at some of their female friends? We are taught by society that as females it is our responsibility to dress in super tight clothing, and wear as little clothing as possible, and that if we don’t, we will never attract guys. Now, do you really want to marry a guy that wants you to dress like that for the rest of your life? Here is the truth; many guys are uncomfortable with the way girls dress! It’s true, they don’t always like having to look at their friends and see them so revealed, and many don’t even like to see their girlfriends that way! If you don’t try to attract a guy with your looks, then you will find a truly sweet guy, who wants you to keep up what you’re doing! Another point is that, as girls we need to respect guys, each other, and most importantly, ourselves! We need to dress modestly to respect the guys, and to help them, by not giving them any temptation for impure thoughts. I mean, we have to respect their thoughts, and we are NOT helping to keep those thoughts pure when we dress provocatively! We also need to respect other girls; we don’t want to see that much of each other! But, if there is a girl who dresses modestly, she is going to feel pressured to change when you dress trashy, and she is actually doing better than you are! Most importantly however, we need to respect ourselves, and know that we are beautiful, without showing so much of our bodies. We are a step above that lack of modesty, and we are good enough that guys can wait until marriage to see that much of our bodies! So, now after my thinking, I have revised my precept on modesty. I have now decided that pants be at least 2 inches or more below my fingertips, and that shirts are okay if they cover the majority of my shoulder, but are preferably not sleeveless at all! I know that I can dress fashionably, modestly, and still be beautiful, all without giving in to society’s pressures! So here is my challenge to you; think on your values, and customize a dress code for yourself! Be your own judge!

on Jan. 1 2011 at 7:57 pm
writer-in-pearls GOLD, San Diego, California
Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with adolescent males having 'impure' thoughts. Sexuality is a natural part of humanity, and it is not our job to repress it If you feel comfortable in more modest clothing, by all means, wear it. But don't try to convince others that they have to help guys keep 'pure' thoughts. 

pussycat said...
on Sep. 17 2010 at 10:20 pm
I am a sweet girl who likes to be around peple...