Tolerance | Teen Ink

Tolerance

190,000 is a special number. It is the number of hate crimes committed in the U.S. yearly. That means that people who have different religions, race, and sexual orientation are hated on. This is only the number of hate crimes committed in the U.S. There are other parts of the world where even more hate crimes are committed. Tolerance throughout the world is not possible, because people don’t practice what they learn, everyone is prejudice, and there will always be hate.

Many schools throughout the U.S. learn about the Holocaust and why it happened. They learn about hate crimes. They learn about people who have prejudices. They learn about intolerance. These kids all learn about how to be tolerant and what it takes, yet there are still those 190,000 hate crimes committed each year usually by people who know what happened during the Holocaust and how terrible the consequences of their actions can be. Some might say that people go to The Museum of Tolerance and their outtake on life is very different than before and this prevents people from committing terrible crimes against others, but not very many people have the honor of attending The Museum of Tolerance and learning about tolerance and the Holocaust up close.

The civil rights movement. A peaceful protest trying to gain rights that were always there. A solution. The civil rights movement was caused because of unneeded prejudice. The majority of the United States had a prejudice against people who had a different colored skin than they had. This prejudice caused a lot of suffering for a lot of people and it is one of the reasons why tolerance is not possible. Some people might say that they are done being prejudice against people who have colored skin, but there will always be something new that people are prejudice against.

“When you only have love for your own race, then you only leave space to discriminate and to discriminate only generates hate and when you hate you’re bound to get irate. Madness is what you demonstrate and that’s exactly how anger works and operates. You gotta have love that you set straight. Take control of your mind and meditate to the love.” These are lyrics to a song by The Black Eyed Peas. They are true. There is no more love in the world anymore. There’s only hate. There are people who are kind, caring, considerate, and loving. They care about people, but when they give out love all they get in return is hate. Some people might say that there are peace groups who dedicate all their time to stopping hate and stopping wars, but they are not big enough to accomplish that big feat. They need cooperation from everyone for it to work.

Because people don’t practice what is taught to them, everyone has prejudice, and there will always be hate, tolerance is not possible. There is always going to be people who don’t learn from past mistakes and keep being prejudice and hating. Complete tolerance would never be possible in the world we live in today.

SilentQ said...
on Jul. 6 2009 at 1:26 am
SilentQ, Glendale, Missouri
wow. 190,000. Holy smokes. its a little boring in the middle, but good overall.

p.s. your last name starts with a q? thats awesome!