Those "Amazing" Clothes | Teen Ink

Those "Amazing" Clothes

June 3, 2008
By Anonymous

I have shopped almost everywhere. From K-mart to Hollister. And when I try on things from Hollister, Abercrombie, and American Eagle, I feel good looking down in the mirror at the famous named brand shirt and pants. I get to school, appreciate the compliments from my friends, bring it home, wash it, wait a week, put it back on and see a few holes in the shirt, and a rip in my pants. I then don't feel so good anymore. I feel sick to my stomach while thinking, "WHY did I spend all this money, for nothing? It's a waste!" I then remember the clothes still hanging in my closet, from Target, that I have worn so often and not a single rip or hole.



Teenage girls AND boys are stressing about looking good and having a fancy store name pasted on the front of their shirts. Marketers advertise these clothes with teens looking gorgeous and cool, therefore attracting teens looking to be "gorgeous like the models". Abercrombie and Hollister are doing a very good job at making money and attracting teens. American Eagle does well too, consider they offer half sizes, which for a lot of these kids makes a big difference.


I think uniforms are a good idea. The focus in school should be work, not a person's looks. Also, uniforms save you a lot of time when you are getting ready for school.


Many educators believe this helps kids focus more on school work and less on fashion. Others think requiring all kids to wear uniforms takes away their freedom to wear what they want.

I'm a 13 year old girl in middle school, and I'm faced with the stress of making sure I wear expensive and name brand clothing. But why am I stressing? If we had uniforms, I wouldn't have to think about getting dressed in the morning, saving up money to shop, or worry about the pesty holes and rips.


Our society is fashion obsessed. And people are treated and stereotyped by what they wear, and it's not fair or right. If people would stop worrying about what other people are wearing, and if expensive clothes weren't in such huge demand, would there still be popularity even though we would all dress the same? Of course. Nothing will ever have enough power to stop that. But, this could be a big step. A good one too. So let’s try it. Stop wasting money on clothes that rip and have holes after one time in the wash. The cheaper stores are just as good, if not better. So let's stop buying clothing that is so expensive, and start saving for the things in life that we really need.