10 Myths and 10 Tips for Nerds | Teen Ink

10 Myths and 10 Tips for Nerds

May 13, 2008
By Anonymous

As we know times are changing. Everyone is becoming more focused on their appearances everyday. Most people get on the fashion bandwagon with everyone else, but there are a few people that got left behind. It just breaks my heart to see people out there who just can’t seem to understand how to be creative with their appearances. I am here to help every hopeless “nerd”, as one may call it, to become more creative, and more secure about their appearance.



10 Tips

Your hair doesn’t have to be slicked to the side or glued to your head.
Hair is a great way to start in your discovery to creativity. Having your hair parted is nice, but it doesn’t always have to be perfect. Messy is okay. Put down the gel for a day and just mess I up, run your fingers through it, have some fun.


Taped glasses don’t fly.
Not to stereotype, but most nerds are really smart with good jobs. That’s why I just can’t seem to understand why they run around with taped glasses. Buy some new ones. If your glasses break don’t tape them, because then you will really look like a hopeless nerd.


You can play other games besides chess.
Yes, chess is a great game, and it takes a lot of brains to play it, but there are other games. Break out and have a little fun some times. What about yhatzee, or pictonary, they are great games. Try some of these and I promise you, you will have some fun.


High waters have got to go.
Buy some pants that fit. You don’t have to wear your favorite pants from fifth grade when you are in college. Let them go, they need a break, they have served their purpose. Now you need to find another pair that you enjoy wearing, just make sure they go below the ankle


Have a life
School is very important, but it isn’t everything. Life is a great mix of education and socializing. Close the books and go hang out at someone’s house or something. Life will be so much more enjoyable if you have memories to look back on.


Try contacts
Glasses look nice every now and then, but sometimes they aren’t for everyone. Some people just don’t look good in glasses. Eyes are beautiful, and those bulky glasses cover them up. Take them off for a while and try some contacts and I’m sure that people will begin to notice you.

Belts work as good as suspenders
Unless you are going to an old fashioned banquet or something, then don’t wear suspenders. They don’t fly anymore. If your pants are falling down then belts work great.


Don’t tuck your shirt in unless you have a belt
You will look really goofy if you tuck your shirt in without a belt. It is simple tips to wear a belt because it makes you look more put together, and like you have some fashion sense.


It’s always good to wash your face a couple of times a day
If you struggle with skin problems such as acne, it is good to spend a few extra dollars for some good acne wash. Having white heads all the time is not good. It’s embarrassing. So go and get some wash and wash up.


Graphic Tee’s aren’t always the best
Always be careful when you’re wearing a graphic tee shirt. If it has any fantasy or cartoon character on it, it’s probably not the best thing to wear. Try to remember your age if you wear a graphic tee. The safest thing would probably be not to wear them at all.


10 Myths about Nerds



All nerds like school
This is completely false. Yeah nerds are smart and all, but I’m sure that they like to sleep in too. I’m sure that they like to hang out around the house on a snow day just like everyone else.


All nerds have body odor
Many people believe this statement, but not every nerd has body odor. To be honest a lot of nerds are germophobs and take several showers a day, a lot of the time they are he cleanest of them all.


All nerds study science
I know all kinds of people that you would label a nerd and they have no interest in science. They like history and English just as much.


Nerds always pick hard books to read that no one understands
This again is not true nerds like to read the Boxcar Children just as much as the rest of us. They just have more of a range of reading material because they can actually understand things like Jane Austen.


Nerds favorite genre is sci-fi
Not true. I know nerds that love romance, some horror, others mystery. Sci-fi is just one of the many they enjoy reading.


Nerds like vegetables
I’m sure you can find out that everybody likes at least one vegetable. I’m sure nerds are the same way. I’m sure they like a chocolate bar just as much as the rest of us.


All nerds play Yu-Gi-Oh
Just because you see a few nerds play yu-gi-oh doesn’t mean they all do. Most of them have better things to do with their time than play an elementary game.


Nerds don’t like sports
Just because someone you might label as a nerd doesn’t play sports doesn’t mean they don’t like them. I’m sure that they go to sports events just like the rest of us.


Nerds don’t like popular music
One might think this, but it’s not true. Nerds like the same music that everyone else does. They probably just don’t go blaring it out of their windows when they are driving down the road like a bunch of idiots.



Nerds spend every moment in front of a computer or with their noses in a book.
Just like everyone else, nerds have a life and enjoy relaxing and spending time with family. They like to chill out just like everyone does. Just because they may enjoy books, or computers doesn’t mean that’s all they do.