Respect Towards Kids | Teen Ink

Respect Towards Kids

A couple weeks ago, I saw something a little shocking. The vice principal of my school grabbed someone by the hood of their jacket and pulled them into her office. The girl wasn’t doing anything except walking down the hallway, but even if she had done something, that was still very rude and mean.

Another gym teacher said a racist thing. Someone came to complain his gym shirt was stolen, and the teacher said it was probably that kid, because he’s Mexican.

Now, get this. Naperville and Aurora were rated within the past year as one of the top school districts in the country. However, it seems many adults are disrespecting kids. I was waiting in line once at McDonald’s and at different points in time, three adults cut in front of me. I’m pretty sure if an adult had cut another adult in line, this would not have been acceptable, especially with the long line there was that day.

I read in an article that recently a child was paddled in front of the class for swearing at the teacher. Yes, of course swearing isn’t acceptable, but paddling is a lot worse. The child received major bruising and is going to be home-schooled for a while.

Another little girl took a recorder to school. When her parents played back the tape, they heard the teacher swearing, and telling the students to go and die because they were “worthless little things”.

Adults seem to be forgetting that they were kids once too, and children are still learning how to fit into society and be respectful. This means that the adults need to be respectful too, not harsh because the kids are developing.

All I am asking for is a little more respect towards kids, because the cruelty children receive now is going to affect them for the rest of their lives.