How It Really Affects Us | Teen Ink

How It Really Affects Us

Racism and sexism. Two huge things that have become such issues in our country and our world. Sometimes you can’t help it! You look at a Hispanic person and automatically think they are illegal immigrants. You see an African American on the streets in the city and you think they are in a gang. You glance at an Asian and just assume that they are smart.

It’s understandable human nature. But I feel it has affected our world in more ways than assumption. I think it is affecting our politics in an unexplainable way. As Geraldine Ferraro (a former vice president candidate) said, “If Obama was a white man; he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman (of any color), he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept" As true as that may be, might I say Hillary Clinton would not be where she is if she wasn’t a woman?

We all know that there are people out there who are just voting for them because of their race or gender. And that may not be the best choice. If you don’t even bother to hear or consider what they are planning on doing for our country then don’t vote.

I have this theory....What if we never see or hear the name of any of the candidates? They are only known as Candidate 1, Candidate 2, and Candidate 3 and so on. That way there is no possible way that people can be sexist or racist towards their vote. Of course they will have to talk to the country and interviews. For that case they can write a speech and have someone else read it for them.

I think this would totally change everything. People wouldn’t be able to be judgmental in any way shape or form. Also what if we got rid of the Democrat and Republican labels? Don’t you think that would affect the votes tremendously? Some people vote just because they are democrat or republican. Once again, that may not always be the best choice.

I just think that people have gotten so judgemental to the point that it may ruin our country and it will take A LOT to fix it later on in the future. And I know that teens hate politics hell I am one of them but I am just thinking about how messed up everything will b later on. It’s just something to think about.