Effect of Video Games on the Brain | Teen Ink

Effect of Video Games on the Brain

April 14, 2008
By Anonymous

For a while now, scientist have wondered if video games affect the minds of people that play them. I’ve always debated my mom on it, as I don’t see how your mind can “turn to mush”. So I asked a professional (or my science teacher who was the closest thing I could find to one) and she said that “video games won’t turn your brain to mush, but could give you ADD”.

I decided to put both of these theories to the test. I have noticed that since I started playing video games more than I used to, I’ve become bored of things that I didn’t use to find boring or liked doing. Other things that I found happened were loss of attention and feeling, from shock, fear, terror, or pain.

Now, for my mom’s theory, I don’t know what’s supposed to happen when your brain turns to mush, or anything else. I assumed that if your brain suddenly turned to mush, you would have no memory of anything that’s happened in your life. Or all the stuff you’ve learned. It’d be like suddenly losing all knowledge that you have. Unable to do the most simplest of things, such as brush my teeth in the morning, comb my hair or even forget how to eat!

Now, my science teacher, as stated above, mentioned I would start to lose interest in things, and get bored easier. I started sleeping more, and spent more time just lying around. Another reason this might be caused is by the flashing lights and how fast the games move.

As you can see, this is either caused by either the games (which are probably NOT to blame) or just laziness.