Cell Phones Usage While Driving | Teen Ink

Cell Phones Usage While Driving

April 8, 2008
By Anonymous

Using a cell phone while driving could be considered as being just as bad as driving under the influence. A University of Utah study found motorists who talk on cell phones while driving are as impaired as drunken drivers with a blood alcohol level at the legal limit of 0.08 percent. They also found that people who are talking while driving are 19 percent slower at coming to a stop then normal people. So as you can see that using a cell phone while you drive is very dangerous and it should be outlawed.

It is proven that it doesn't matter who you are talking to, it is the conversation that distracts you from the road. They also found out that talking to someone in the car with you is as dangerous. According to Highway Patrol, 8% of all drivers on the road are talking on cell phone at any given moment. No matter what precautions you take to pay attention to the road, you are still in danger while using a cell phone.

Other people might say that they use hands free, or bluetooth to talk so they are more aware. A Study by the University of Utah showed that it doesn't matter if you are using a bluetooth headset, handsfree, or holding the phone, they all have the same effect on your driving. First of all, using a cell phone while you drive puts you and all the other drivers on the road at risk. People that use cell phones while trying to drive are flat out, being irresponsible. Even if they know that it is not good to talk on the cell phone while driving, they think they are good enough drivers to handle multi-tasking in a dangerous situation. Though the truth is, it doesn't matter who you are, or what your good at, anyone who uses a cell phone while driving makes you just as vulnerable as anyone else who does it. A proven fact by letstalk.com, the United States of America has banned hand held cell phones, while driving, in 6 states and 4 big cities. They are also trying to ban personal calls to pilots on jets. They say it doesn’t distract the pilot as much as a driver of a car, but the reaction time, if something goes wrong, is still delayed. In case you still don’t feel convinced, just wait.

Not all people are at fault. Only people who use their cell phones for prolonged times are really at risk. For example. My Dad, when he talks on the cell phone, only talks for a short period of time, only to get info or to check up on things. Even though he still is impaired when he uses it, he is less likely to get into a crash then a person having a conversation that has lasted 5 hours!
When people actually stop and think about what is happening around them on the road, they will realize that using a cell phone while driving is very hazardous towards their safety.

So as you can see, cell phones, all cell phones, should be banned while driving. Maybe in the future, they will make something that doesn’t distract you, at all, on the phone, or maybe, make a car that can drive itself to your designation. Until then, they should ban cell phones completely. If you don’t agree with me now, you will agree with me when you get in a crash because of your cell phone!