Teenage Drop-Outs | Teen Ink

Teenage Drop-Outs

I am writing about this topic because it doesn’t affect only me or my family but the whole world. When I say it affects me I didn’t say I dropped out of school but my mom did. The reason for drop-outs are doing poorly in school, having a bad social life, working more than 20 hours a week, and pregnancy. I think some of those reasons are silly such as having a social life and working. Others I think are serious such as pregnancy or doing poorly in school.

What is incredible is that 1,868 teenagers drop out of school each day in the U.S. Also 66% of those teens who dropped out are white students “at risk.” 43% said they left school because it was not interesting. Also 57% said they didn’t feel safe in school. In 1992 graduates earned $6000 a year more than their peers that have dropped out. Though getting pregnant is the main reason for dropping out of school.

I think dropping out of school is a bad decision because you won’t be able to get your High School Diploma. To not have it that means you can’t get a good job or go to college.

This issue is important to me because my mom dropped out. She dropped out but then went back to school. She then got her diploma and is now accepted into jobs that can maintain. Like the facts said those who graduate get $6000 more than their peers that dropped out.

I know some people might disagree with me but not all people get their college degrees. This means not everybody has great jobs like those with their degrees. This sometimes happens because different capitals have different learning systems so some people may think school is fun but others think it’s boring and eventually drop out.

The message I’m trying to send is to stay in school. Then for going you will be rewarded with a great life. Then again you won’t have to worry about school as much as when you drop out.

I wrote this commentary to tell teenagers in Middle School through High that there will be school, even if you drop out. Also if you want to become a better experienced worker there will be more school. Just to give some advice I think that you should always stay in school, no matter what the situation is.

on Dec. 3 2010 at 8:00 am
I am a high school drop out