Stereotypes | Teen Ink

Stereotypes

By hall2015 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
hall2015 GOLD, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

"Everyone falls down champions get back up!"

There are lots of talented girls in the world that won’t go out of the normal. There was a girl in my brothers grade that did the exact opposite. She played football in fourth grade. She showed the boys that girls are not always weak even though they might come off that way. They think that because of stereotypes. There are stereotypes for both females and males. There always comes benefits for being different than the stereotypes.

There are many ways that stereotypes are created. One way they are created is when a group of people act a certain way. According to Bryn Mawr College one stereotype is that females are graceful. Girls play sports that are not aggressive. You can also tell if girls want to go out and play hard or just want to look good. Females are always worried about their appearance. Males tend to be the opposite.

When it comes to males they just want to play. Most of them don’t care what they look like when playing sports. A stereotype with males is that they like to be physical. That is why football is called a “mans” sport. Another one is they are aggressive. When they play baseball they don’t skip and take their time to first base. They sprint and always work hard.

There tend to be a bit more advantages for girls when they go outside of the stereotype. When you step out of the “normal” it tend to make everyone look stronger and a bigger leader. When you do something different it gets your name out. When engaging in different activities it improves your health. Sometimes they have to step out of their comfort zones.

There are both female and male stereotypes. Benefits also come with being different. The biggest activity to be different in is when girls play football or wrestle. Girls would not do things like this because they don’t feel comfortable. Whether boys believe it or not girls are capable of doing anything they set their mind to.