Lessons about myself and the world | Teen Ink

Lessons about myself and the world

By Nmeyerson BRONZE, Fresh Meadows, New York
Nmeyerson BRONZE, Fresh Meadows, New York

What really is community service? Is it just what some people describe as being a boring few hours they spend in their local library. I feel if you’re not enjoying helping someone out it shouldn’t be called community service. I helped out at a local cooking school for kids. This cooking school was for any child to come to and have fun for a few hours in their day. These kids were diverse and it felt like this cooking school helped to bring these kids together. Before I began to volunteer at this cooking school I didn’t do much to help out my community. I felt that I wasn’t going to make any type of difference at my age. Ever since I started to volunteer though I felt that I’ve not only felt better as a person but it’s also given me a greater insight on the rest of the world. Ever since I started volunteering I wanted to go and help at all different types of places to be able to learn more about myself. I feel if people start coming together to help people who really need it the world could become a much better place. At the same time though I’ve began to see the world in a much greater realistic view than I did as a child. I’ve become to learn the world isn’t a perfect place but if there are people there who can help those to make their lives a bit better it can help make the world more into something it should be rather than what it has become today, a place where people care much more for power and money than the feeling of cooperation and togetherness when helping people out.