A Ruby in the Rubble | Teen Ink

A Ruby in the Rubble

April 22, 2012
By Adi12345 PLATINUM, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
Adi12345 PLATINUM, Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
36 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Every day, I, as well as numerous others, stroll into school. We (or at least I) complain, moan, groan, and complain some more. We hate being bossed around by teachers, and the endless flurry of tests, quizzes, and projects can become monotonous, if not annoying. Nevertheless, I have come to realize that there is another side to the story. Teachers have to endure our incessant complaining about “Why can’t we have the quiz tomorrow?” and “I don’t get it!” It’s a hard job, and one we take for granted. The person who helped me realize this truth was none but a teacher.
Donna Saragnese. One of the rubies in the rubble, she is one of the finest teachers one could ever ask for. This teacher enables pupils to unleash their maximum skill, while ensuring that no child lags, or has a difficult time comprehending skills. A vital point to note is that she enhances her technology and resources so that there is a balanced blend that establishes an effective learning environment while reducing drastic monotony.

Learning and memorizing skills is something that depends on what your brain truly wants to remember. Whether you’re a student studying for your end of the year exams or an adult with a doctorate degree, you can’t remember anything if your mind is preoccupied with that soccer game that occurred a few days ago. When you’re talking about kids, learning and memorizing skills that are ostensibly challenging require nothing but an old technique; fun!
On numerous occasions, we use new technology such as Smartboards to enhance our learning with Mrs. Saragnese. Although we may do something as simple as slide over a box to reveal an answer, the use of brand-new technology is something all children find intriguing and fun. Because of this new found interest of math due to technology and fun, at the end of the day, everyone simply seems to remember more! Consequently, students perform better in class and standardized tests! Credit goes to the Board of Education for purchasing such expensive materials, of course, but it still takes a skilled teacher (hint hint, wink wink, Mrs. Saragnese) who really wants to make a difference in the lives of pupils to put the materials to good use.
On other days, we do hands-on activities, such as cutting out shapes from paper, or constructing shapes out of cubes, to learn 10th grade math! By the time we get to the odd day where we have to simply take notes, no one complains, because we’ve already had so much fun! To wrap it all up, her sense of humor and delicate use of sarcasm (that doesn’t negatively affect anybody) creates a more subtle, light-hearted classroom, which is what I, as well as numerous others, admire most about her.
To be frank, Mrs. Saragnese wasn’t always my favorite teacher. Although she used the golden technique of fun, she was a hard grader, didn’t give extra credit, and worst of all, gave homework nearly every day! Nonetheless, just as you come to realize that your veggies and fruits are good for you, I have come to realize that Mrs. Saragnese possesses immense value as a teacher. Everything she does, from the merest homework assignment she gives, to the harshest test she graded, had a purpose, and abetted me in some way in the long run. Although it took me this long, my eyes have ultimately opened, and I’ve finally understood: Mrs. Saragnese is my favorite teacher.