Response to "End the D.A.R.E. Dynasty" | Teen Ink

Response to "End the D.A.R.E. Dynasty"

By Kelby Giering BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Kelby Giering BRONZE, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

I think the article, “End the D.A.R.E. Dynasty” was a great paper to write. The facts were

legitimate and brought up good arguments that were valid. She put a good amount of research into this paper and it was something that she felt passionately about. I think she did a great job with writing this and I love this article. I agree with her one hundred percent on ending the D.A.R.E. program. I went through the program when I was in fifth grade and it was a waste of time I believe. My friends and I joke about it now and how stupid we thought it was now. I think that it’s telling kids how not to get caught if you ever do drugs or drink. By telling kids to “say no” is kind of enforcing them to want to say
yes. Pressuring them to say no is, in a way, telling them to say yes. D.A.R.E. is exposing kids to all the dangers out there and is prompting them to want to do drugs. Kids know that doing drugs and drinking under the legal age is wrong but the people who promote D.A.R.E. are telling them new information about drugs and drinking that they may not have known and makes drinking and drugs sound even cooler to kids who are trying to fit in with the “cool kids”. After reading this, I believe we should end the program all together and find something that works better than what we have now.