Morale and Instinct | Teen Ink

Morale and Instinct

By VovaSky BRONZE, BwahhThisIsntImportantBwahh, Colorado
VovaSky BRONZE, BwahhThisIsntImportantBwahh, Colorado

Мир и Гармония.

Decisions are something we can’t avoid in life, and select handfuls are much more crucial than all others. Two protagonists, Katniss and Hamlet, from two different stories, The Hunger Games and Hamlet, are faced with mind-wracking decisions. In my own experiences, I’ve found that there is always a right decision even if both options seem undesirable.

The dilemma that Katniss faces is whether or not to take her life as an act of rebellion for the Capitol’s foolish and ridiculous dictated rules. If she didn’t choose that option, she would’ve had to kill Peeta, her “lover”, to become the victor, and play along to the Capitol. In choosing to put the berries in her mouth with Peeta, they were able to coerce the Capitol to let them both survive, which was the right decision. This was right because we must stand for our morals and never give into anything that compromises those morals. But to have said morals, you must have a belief, which Hamlet discovered upon seeing his father’s apparition.

The dilemma Hamlet faced was whether to believe his father or not, and avenge his death. At one point, he questioned if his father’s apparition was Satan, which confused him morally. Hamlet chose to kill his uncle in his last moments of life, as a result of his uncle trying to kill himself as well, and to avenge his father’s death. This decision was right because not only was he avenging his father’s murder, but he was also avenging the death of his mother who was accidentally murdered. This was the right decision because justice had to be served, and if Hamlet hadn’t taken to it himself, his uncle would’ve gone unpunished. This reminds me when I had to take life into my own hands.

The dilemma I had to face was when I cracked my skull on the school bus, and I had to choose whether to stay on and wait for the bus to take me home, or to get off and go back inside the school to get help. I chose to walk off the bus and go back into the school for help. This decision was the right decision, because I was able to have someone patch my head up quickly and seek help almost immediately. Had I not left, I would’ve spent more than half an hour bleeding before I could seek medical attention, so the decision I made was right. This decision was mainly made through instinctual choosing, without thinking I prevented massive blood loss.

Readers can learn that you must withhold and stand for your morals from Katniss’ story, and to use your best judgment to choose what you believe in is correct from Hamlet’s story. I learned from my dilemma that in a critical situation, such as a dangerous injury, you must use your instinct to make a decision that could save your life. If you spend too much time debating on what to do in such a situation, all you’re really doing is wasting the time that you could spend saving your life.

For English Class