Pretty Little Liars | Teen Ink

Pretty Little Liars

March 7, 2012
By sofiailytortilla BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
sofiailytortilla BRONZE, San Gabriel, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“I'm still here, b****es. And I know everything." -A” In "Pretty Little Liars," by Sara Shephard, a murder takes place. Ali, the best friend of Aria, Hanna, Spencer, and Emily goes missing and one year later, the body is found. The four girls began to be tormented and stalked by an anonymous person who is known as "A." If they don't do what "A" says, then all of their secrets will be exposed. In my opinion, "Pretty Little Liars" is a fantastic book, because you can connect with the characters, there are different perspectives of the conflict, and the plot is relatable.

First of all, I love the fact that I basically develop feelings for the characters. The author does such a good job describing the conflict, that I understand what the characters are going through and I start to feel everything the characters are feeling. As if I were a character in the book, watching from their perspective. I get excited, when something scandalous happens, I cry when something sad happens, and I feel a rush down my spine when problems get worse. It almost begins to feel like I know the characters personally. Like i've known them my whole life. I know for sure that a book is great quality when i'm able to connect with the characters.

Second of all, I find it interesting that with each chapter, you see the same problem, but in the perspective of a different character each time. For example, in one chapter, it will talk about how Hanna is afraid what A will do if they don't deliver the letter. Yet in the next chapter, it talks about how Aria thinks that A is just some kid playing a joke. This proves that you can see a different side of the story within each chapter. Doing this can help you understand the story more, and frankly, it makes it more dramatic and interesting.

Lastly, this story can easily relate to someone's life. There are real problems like this, and the fact that you can read about it makes it more exciting. Knowing that this could be happening to someone at any moment is thrilling, and it actually seems a little scary. This book can also help you deal with your drama with friends, because the solutions to their drama are realistic. Whenever I read something in here that I already know about, I get a little excited and think, "Wow! I've done the SAME exact thing!". This book gives an opportunity to compare your life, while trying to find a solution to your problem.

In the end, I definitely recommend this book because once you start, you can't stop. This book offers a wonderful experience to connect with characters, see a different perspective, and relate to their lives. The drama is addicting and it is truly a mind blowing plot. Once you get to the end of a book, you'll want to instantly go out and buy the next one. But until then, all that's left to wonder is, "What happens next?".