The Wrongs of Animal Abuse | Teen Ink

The Wrongs of Animal Abuse

By TrinityGarris BRONZE, Irving, Texas
TrinityGarris BRONZE, Irving, Texas

Every animal gets treated differently every day. Some get treated like a human, with love and care. Others aren’t so lucky. All those animals that aren’t lucky enough get abused and neglected, usually end up dying which is not right. What makes us as humans treat animals with such hatred? Is animal abuse linked to domestic violence?

People say that animals don’t mean anything so why not just treat them like it. It doesn’t go like that. Animals mean so much to children and families, so when they hear things it hurts them. If animal abuse is looked down on then why do people do it? Well some think it’s linked to anger , in humane society the facts state 13% of intentional animal abuse cases involve domestic violence. It has come up that people instead of taking anger out on abusing spouses they take it out on animals, which is completely wrong to do so. It shows how good of a person you are to hurt an innocent animal that hasn't done anything wrong. For many battered women, pets are sources of comfort providing strong emotional support: 98% of Americans consider pets to be companions or members of the family, said in humane society. Some people actually get help from having an animal around them because it makes them feel safe. Animals are a safety haven for when times get bad in peoples life’s, when they have problems at home that they can’t control. For others, animals are just something for people to take their anger out on. Humane society believes Between 25% and 40% of battered women are unable to escape abusive situations because they worry about what will happen to their pets or livestock should they leave. I don’t think anyone should have to worry about their animals as they leave their home to get away from a situation they are in. There is something in some people that trigger their anger and they end up taking it out on animals.

Is animal abuse linked to domestic violence? Yes, a family of animal abuse can form into something more as in physical human abuse. If young kids are exposed to this then what do you think our future generation will be like. It’s scary to think that our future generation will just be people wanting to abuse one another because that’s where we are headed now.