Animal Cruelty | Teen Ink

Animal Cruelty

By Pedro-Acosta BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
Pedro-Acosta BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

When slaughtering an animal in a slaughter house a worker must stun or render it insensible to pain says David Gutierrez, 90 percent of the time the animals feel it all. Coming from a meat eater it’s not the killing of animals that is cruel; it is the ignorant way that they do it that is.

Animal slaughterhouses go against traditional animal processing. These farms are more like factories using animals like products off an assembling line, rather than resembling a ranch or farm. Abusing an animal is a way for a human to find power/joy/fulfillment through the torture of a victim that cannot defend itself according to Abby Ellin at the NY Times. The inhumane fashion in which these huge corporations treat the animals is not only illegal but also heartless.

Animals have feelings and emotions just like humans, so why aren't they being treated as such? The animal cruelty website says that emotions permit animals to behave adaptively and flexibly. Everyday animals are being beaten, or neglected, or forced to struggle to survive. They have little hope as they live out their days in chamber usually over crowded, or left in unsanitary rooms. Where they eventually get picked to go through the process of being cut open alive. But other does not make it to that place. They die because of malnutrition or starvation. The animals around it have no choice but to eat their fallen friend because they usually have no other food.

When people say that animals are undeveloped humans, how come we don’t treat them like that? I have always felt that the way we treat animals is a good indicator of the compassion we are capable of for the human race. If what she said is true we are in grave danger for our race.

There are thousands of huge slaughter house across America and if this doesn’t get noticed soon millions of our burgers, steaks, chicken sandwiches, and other meaty products will be coming from mistreated animals somewhere. So my question is why do people just watch and let happen? I bet that most people will just care for a few days then go back to not caring. Just like the people at the factories.