Come On Get Active | Teen Ink

Come On Get Active

By ilynch15 BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
ilynch15 BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new."-Albert Einstein

Teens should get more exercise each day to obtain a healthy lifestyle. A large percentage of teens spend too many hours on their computers or watching TV. Teaching teens the importance of regular exercise will lead to a healthier adult population in the future.

Living a healthy lifestyle has proven to be beneficial in overall happiness, increased muscle mass and tone, and for building a stronger immune system. Christa Miller a contributing writer for the Live Strong organization says teenagers who regularly get exercise are more likely to maintain a healthy weight, less likely to develop certain diseases and more likely to feel good in mind and body. Christa Miller’s point is that exercise has more pros than cons. Teens’ futures will be brighter if they commit to exercising each day.

Teens don’t realize that obesity only keeps increasing throughout the years. Park Alice a fitness specialist for Time Health says studies have shown that eating just 10 to 20 extra calories per day - that’s one peanut M&M or one tortilla chip - that don't get burned through activity can result in a 2-lb gain on average over the course of a year. Teens should realize that lack of exercise may lead to obesity. The two biggest threats of obesity are Type Two diabetes and heart disease. The good news is exercising can reduce these risk. Making an impact on teens today will help reverse the trend of adult obesity later.

Studies have shown teens will stick to regular exercise when it’s creative and fun. For a change, teens need to get outside and explore different activities. For adrenaline junkies there’s snowboarding, motor cycling, skateboarding, and water skiing. Imagine yourself flying down a powdery slope at 40 mph on a crisp winter day or leaving earth’s boundaries by soaring through the air after hitting a big wave. For nature lovers there’s biking, kayaking, rock climbing, and nature walks. Nothing’s nicer than spending a beautiful day biking on a path with the perfume of colorful flowers filling your lungs and the sounds of the forest playing the back beat. Kayaking through white-capped rapids will get your blood pumping and fill your soul with joy. Before you know it, you’ve got yourself an active lifestyle. Nemours, a leading teen health website says that when picking the right type of exercise, it can help to consider your workout personality. For example, do you like to work out alone and on your own schedule? If so, solo sports like biking or snowboarding may be for you. Or do you like the shared motivation and companionship that comes from being part of a team?

Just replacing 1 hour of sedentary activity per day with 1 hour of action can make a big difference. Exercise can be a great source of fun which leads to a healthy and bright future for America’s teens. Do you see yourself fun and fit in the future?

My English teacher Ms. Evidente challenged me to pick a cause that was important to me. Inspiring America’s teens to become more involved in exercising has been a big dream of mine.