Animal Abuse | Teen Ink

Animal Abuse

By cechinsierra BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
cechinsierra BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

Animal abuse is a widespread issue that most people are aware of but easy to ignore. There are many different acts of animal abuse that varies from very serious situations or in ways people don’t notice or recognize just because they’re a lower life form of a human. Abuse towards animal has become less prominent as society continues to change as well as ignorance about the serious issue.
This issue has been a problem from as far back as we can remember. One problem that has been very common is animal fighting. People find a sense of joy and/or relief in themselves as they express their own personal problems through something else that is under them and they can have complete control over. People can go as far as to keep the animals fighting until one of them kills the other, and remember these are animals that have done nothing wrong and our just the unlucky ones that are chosen. Pet-abuse.com explains how despite widespread concern and condemnation, animals are subjected to enormous torture and abuse. It is so important for people to recognize this so we can stop these disastrous events that happen all over the world.
We’ve all worn furry coats or leather shoes, yet we don’t stop to think where the fur could have come from. Animals have been making clothes for us since the beginning of time when people figured out how to use animals in numerous ways. People don’t seem to understand that yes, animals aren’t as important as humans, but should not be used for our clothes or other things when they’re so many different forms to use for clothes. We should not be so self-centered and only think about ourselves, because you might be comfortable wearing that sweater, but remember whose life was taken just so you could be in style or want the real fur to show that you don’t buy the fake stuff, when it is exactly the same, just no life was jeopardized. As said by PETA.org, animals have voices. They cry out when they are being skinned alive for their fur, being beaten and forced to perform painful tricks, or having their throats cut before being hacked apart for their flesh. Animals express their pain, but often, people don’t understand or they choose not to listen.
The last issue to discuss is the one people don’t realize they’re doing. Almost the entire world has their pets they love and adore, at least for most people. It is exceptional to tap your dog on the nose if she tries to bite you as a puppy, or hit his bottom while you’re trying to potty train him or her, or even as an older dog and you have to punish him in some ways to teach them what is right and wrong. Yet there have been people that will beat and hit and kick for things so little. In the ASPCA commercial, they express how often this happens, and it shows you the animals that have been beaten and even thrown out in the street to die. Buzzle.com describes how passive cruelty is typified by cases of neglect, where the crime is a lack of action rather than the action itself- however do not let the terminology fool you. Severe animal neglect can cause incredible pain and suffering to an animal.
We all hear people say how they feel so bad for these animals and how wrong it is, but they never take action and do something about it. Are you one of those people? If you saw a cat lying by the street struggling to keep breathing, would you help it? Try to understand how these animals feel, and how they could be so confused as to why this was brought upon them. They might be lower than us, but they still have a brain, heart, and a sense of their surroundings and they still feel that pain when they are abused.