Childrens books these days: Good or Bad? | Teen Ink

Childrens books these days: Good or Bad?

By favour BRONZE, Morgan Hill, California
favour BRONZE, Morgan Hill, California

"The words biggest failures are people who don't know how close they were before they quite trying."

Young adult fiction shows that bad things can happen, but also shows a way out of it, teaching that no matter what your situation is, you can still overcome it.

Some of our parents are being too strict about the book their children read which is wrong and needs to be stopped. Whatever they learn, whether good or bad, are going to guide them through life and help them overcome whatever trouble may come their way in life. Teenagers should also be allowed the right to make their choice about life, and along the way if they make a mistake, they will hopefully learn from it.

Teenagers should be allowed access to books, no matter how dark or inappropriate it can be, because as we all know “no knowledge is a waste.”

It is also known that “it takes a village to raise a child.” Therefore a child can be educated in many ways and books are one of those ways. Teenagers can learn many things about life and society through the books they read. Some teachers and parents don’t have time to teach them everything there is to learn, and yet oppose against the books teenagers read.

The majority of Shakespeare’s plays, for example, focus on dark part of the world, but are still educational.

“The world is not full of roses, brightness, and light, and that is what our children don’t know, and we should not give them the impression that the world is full of roses. An obvious one is ‘don’t talk to strangers’, so they [parents] can’t shield children completely from these things,” author and child development expert Sue Palmer told The Scotsman. “These stories have been used throughout all cultures to help children get to grips with the world.”

Maria Tatar, a professor at Harvard College and fairy tales expert told education.com, “Fairy tales have a real role in liberating the mind of children. No matter how violent they are, the protagonist always survives.”

Even those benefiting from the trend toward contemporary tales, such as Julia Donaldson, author of “The Gruffalo,” find fault with the dismissal of classic tales. Classic tales shouldn’t be dismissed because of what parent or individuals think of it. Out there somewhere in the world, there are people who find classic tales interesting and can’t live a day without reading a classic tale story. It will do our community good if these critics stop their insinuation about classic tales and what they do to teenagers and children.