Ben Franklin Stylin' | Teen Ink

Ben Franklin Stylin'

Many raise controversy over the inscription "In God We Trust" on currency as a Christian mantra. Personally, I believe this motto is not the best description for our country: it is a phrase that violates the constitution; it does not pass the three part lemon test; it has no clear secular purpose, and is unfairly endorsing the Christian religion, also entangling the government with religion. Besides, "In God We Trust" was coined against godless communism, only as a religious sentiment after the Civil War. It is not a good motto for the great democratic United States, which has been exemplary in liberty and in democracy of the people, without reference to God, and is not monotheistic. With injustice embedded in the words, it defies the separation of church and state, forcing an acceptance of this, every time money is passed.

I am, in this case, subject to concur with those against the motto. When looking at a coin, "In God We Trust", often is confused with "E Pluribus Unum", for which I am not concerned. E Pluribus Unum is a more appropriate national motto, with a true description of America. It promotes the idea of the people; out of many, there is one.