American Government: Imperialist or Protector? | Teen Ink

American Government: Imperialist or Protector?

I believe that the U.S., to a certain extent, has a duty to fight for freedom in neighboring countries. As a government “for the people, and by the people” it maintains the obligation to protect and intervene when the conflict between bordering countries affects, or has the potential to affect, aspects of American life in a negative manner.
There should be no question whether or not to get involved, when another entity threatens the well-being of our country and its citizens. For example, the reason our military entered Iraq was not primarily because we wanted to maintain a hold on our oil supply, but to oust a corrupt dictator, threatening our country with weapons of mass destruction and to quell a hot bed of turmoil and eliminate a breeding ground for terrorism. The basis on which our troops are still stationed in the Middle East is to clean up the mess made by Saddam Hussein and put the fallen country on its feet. If the president of the United States were to pull these armed forces out of Iraq, the instability of the country would become an opportunity for other corrupt officials to gain power. The conflict is whether or not this is the right thing to do, rather the tension between political parties. Each side, Republican and Democrat, focus on who is right in his stance, while the real issue becomes a merely means of criticism towards the president and his political affiliations, drawing an endless chanting of “I-told-you-so” s and “if –I-were-you” s from Capitol Hill and citizens across the nation.
As a global power house and economical “Big Brother” often times it becomes necessary to take control of situations not directly involving the U.S. itself. With American can no longer operate under the idea of “it’s not my problem,” and must participate and continue to be active in global concerns to safe guard the security of our nation. However this does not entitle to U.S. government to intercede in every affair or disagreement between nations.
In closing, there is a balance that must be met and, as a nation, we must choose our battles. The reasons the U.S. arbitrates in foreign disputes are many and complex but the fact remains that we are a part of a global community and we must play our role with careful thought and great consideration.