Image of our Forefathers: John McCain | Teen Ink

Image of our Forefathers: John McCain

“We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity…” (Preamble of the Constitution). In the Preamble of the Constitution, our founding fathers laid the groundwork for the government of one of history’s greatest empires: America. This important literary piece of our history dictates and addresses many of the major concerns and issues being dealt today in the 2008 Presidential Elections. These issues are those of health care, national defense, and national security. Republican John McCain is the only candidate today who continues to embody the conservative and deliberate attitudes/views of our forefathers.
On the issue of health care and our “general Welfare,” McCain believes adamantly that it is the personal responsibility of the American citizen to acquire health care insurance. The universal health plans proposed by democratic candidates would do more to harm the country than would help, because this plan eliminates competition in the medical market. By eliminating this essential part we are not only affecting the American market, but the quality of care each individual receives. Why should one doctor work harder in his efforts to provide better service to a patient than another doctor who does a slap-dash job if they are both required to accept the same basic rate of pay? Where is the motivation? This lack of competition may lead to fewer people entering into the medical field. The more government controls the more limits we have on our free market. We are moving towards a somewhat socialist outlook. This was not the idea of our forefathers. McCain firmly believes in putting families in the driver’s seat of our health care system, and not in hands of a bureaucratic, government-controlled system. It is the duty of the American citizen to take an active role in his/her government. To further his argument, McCain recently cited some statistics in a speech made: “Americans currently spend $2.2 trillion on health care plan. By 2015, the numbers will nearly double, to $4 trillion, and by 2017, more money will be going out of Medicare than is going in.” The most beneficial health care plan is one that brings costs under control, stopping the “erosion of affordable health insurance.” In doing so, we are saving Medicare and Medicaid, protecting private health benefits, and allowing our companies to successfully compete around the world.
On the issue of national security, any candidate would say they are steadfast in his/her decision to eradicate any threat to the well-being of Americans, “secur[ing] the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.” However, other than McCain, none have been on the other side of the cushy desk and chair of politics, and have fought for the continued freedom of our country and its citizens. McCain understands the full implications of military action outside the comfort of U.S. boarders. He fought in Vietnam and was captured, brutally tortured, and held as a prisoner of war for five and a half years before his eventual release. His unique perspective has given him an incontestable vantage point. We face a war in the Middle East, and until we have fully developed an alternative energy source, we, as a major consumer of fossil fuels, will not be able to break the bonds that bind us to the Middle East. Good, bad, or indifferent, this war has fully engaged our nation in this region and in the business of occupying a country, rebuilding a destroyed infrastructure and defending a new government. We are presently at a fork in the road. John McCain will pursue our prospect of victory in Iraq, strengthen our defenses in the greator war against Islamic extremists, and make our nation more secure. The Middle East Culture has historically gravitated towards aggression and conflict when a neighboring entity has shown a weakness or vulnerability. If any success is to be taken from this conflict, we as a country must see stability in the region either from the continued support of our ongoing rebuilding efforts, or the threat of annihilation. There is only one candidate with the ability to project both compassion and retribution when dealing with this situation: John McCain.
Along with his firm commitment, McCain will create an even firmer resistance on the threat of terror to our nation. The tragic and unforgettable events which occurred on the morning of September 11, 2001, marked the failure of national policy to respond to the formation of a global terror network hostile towards Americans. The Islamic extremist had no doubt declared war against the United States which was hit with undeniable clarity. We are up against a dedicated and focused adversary who will sniff out American’s weaknesses and strike hard. We can not afford to deny the existence of the threat to our nation or to be naïve about their capacities, or to remain nonchalant about our national vulnerabilities. McCain has the strength, the initiative, and the experience to eliminate this dangerous threat to the welfare of our nation. After 9/11, McCain stood by his decision. He fought for the establishment of the Department of Homeland Security and the creation of the U.S. Northern Command whose responsibility was the protection of the U.S. homeland. McCain will ensure that we, as a nation, are prepared to confront and prevail upon this foe in the Middle East. Many have been skeptical of our occupation of Iraq since day one, arguing this “war on terror” is not only exhaustive, but fruitless. McCain admits he will not be ignorant and is willing and eager to try new tactics/strategies in the Middle East. One thing is for certain however, we must finish the job we set out to do. To pack-up and admit defeat would strengthen al Qaeda forces, empower Iran and other hostile forces in the Middle East, potentially launching Iraq into a full-fledged civil war. John McCain is best prepared to take on this responsibility that we as a country now face, and will do whatever it takes to secure the “blessings” of freedom for Americans today and for future generations to come.
McCain’s actions as president will be done “in Order to form a more perfect Union,” and not for his own benefit. McCain has the interests of Americans’ at heart and will take his job with seriousness and diligence. By harnessing the principles of our forefathers, reflected in his policies, and applying them the conflicts and issues of America today, John McCain will strengthen and defend our country internally and will protect us from the many threats our nation faces.