A Few Thoughts on Our Generation | Teen Ink

A Few Thoughts on Our Generation

We fall for whatever comes our way. Everything has been made for us, mapped out, planned for us, to make it easier, but it doesn’t work that way. When we want something different we wait for (or look for) something someone did to be different in the past. It’s our generation’s way of going forward, by looking behind, but it doesn’t really work because then we realize that, well, everything’s been done before. Grunge culture, rave culture, skate culture, drug culture, hippie culture, everything, it’s all dead, but we don’t want that, because then where would that leave us? The turn of the century…some people still cling to what’s left of the 90s...

But what about us, teens now, who were kids in the 90s? We haven’t exactly made our own culture, we’re used to people providing it for us. They call us the iGeneration or something, but who invented the iPod? I think it was middle aged guy. Of another generation.

We learned (and so we want) to borrow, borrow, borrow and maybe something will work out. We’re living in our dream lands and dream worlds in 80s movies or online universes and some of us try to catch up a few years, maybe 6 or something, so we can be a part of the 90s generation, and others just sort of sit back and watch and don’t really care, and all this while we’re not really aware that what we’re doing is a defining aspect of our generation's culture; we’re just waiting.

Waiting for the war to end. Waiting for decisions to be made. Waiting for the next big thing to stumble upon us. Waiting until we’re older. Waiting for the bomb to drop. Waiting for someone to wake us up. To save us. Waiting for something that will make sense of our lives. We’re just waiting waiting waiting and some of us don’t want to wait anymore but there’s nothing else to do.

We don’t know it now but I think that maybe while we’re waiting something brilliant might happen. In the minds of the people who were thinking while they were waiting. Their minds entertaining themselves and going elsewhere and creating a light show of colors in their heads. A world in their minds, which in turn that becomes…well…whatever it’s supposed to be. The person, song, movie, book, word, idea, that inspires a generation.

So is waiting such a bad thing? I don’t think so.

Brooke said...
Thanks for writing this. I now realize what I've been feeling for years but could never be put into words.