Family is Not Perfect... But That's Okay! | Teen Ink

Family is Not Perfect... But That's Okay!

The perfect American family. The father goes to work and after a hard day at the office, he returns home. “Honey, I'm home!” he calls as he sets down his briefcase and hangs coat up. He walks into the kitchen where his wife kisses him. She then calls the children downstairs for dinner. They all sit at the table and discuss their day. After they finish their meal, the mother washes the dishes, the father puts the kids to bed. Then they all finally go to sleep and I turn the television off.

Yes I bet every family is like The Brady Bunch, or the Cleavers. That's why there are divorces every day. Parent's are addicted to something or another, or they beat their kids. Husband's beat their wife's. Wife's cheat on their husbands or vice-versa. Kid's are on drug's or in rehab. Most kids have sex before they are seventeen. Why can't Family life be perfect.

The truth is that family life can't be perfect. If family life was that way would it not be boring? I'm not saying that the only way to have an non boring family is to go out and smoke pot. I'm not saying the way some families are today is good! But for some people that is the only way they see how a family can be. Just like how their own family is. It's a tragedy some of the family life people have to endure. Some are lucky...some are not.

Too many people these days have their own interpretations of the way a family should be. They should have a father, a mother, and about three kids. Yet again, it's not written is stone “YOUR FAMILY HAS TO BE LIKE THIS!”. Family can come in all shapes and all sizes. You may not have a mom or a dad, but you can still have a family. You may live with your grandparent's, aunt's and uncle's, or even older siblings. A family doesn't even have to consist of who you live with. I consider some of my friends family. Your family is your family.

For instance I love my family the way it is. My parent's did get a divorce. My mother and myself fight. My father and I don't talk a lot. I only get to see him on the weekends. However, if that had never happened I would not have gained a step-mom, two brothers, and many other relatives and friends. I love the family I have. It may not be perfect but they all love me and that is enough and I wouldn't have it any other way.

So regardless of what situation your are in or your perception of how a family should be. It will never be perfect. There is no perfect.. And hey, that is life for you. The bottom line of what a family is, is that a family is a group of people who unconditionally love you know matter what. And if you ask me that's about as close to perfect as you can get.