Salem Witch Trials | Teen Ink

Salem Witch Trials

Throughout history and especially during the Salem Witch Trials society has chosen to believe in super natural events whether it be for personal gain, self preservation, or as an escape from their current, past or future situation.
In Arthur Millar’s The Crucible the entire investigation was sparked by Abigail and John Proctor’s relationship. Abigail used to work in John Proctor’s house and an extra marital affair between John Proctor and Abigail. Abigail still wanted John, so in the chaos of the accusations and trials Abigail accused John Proctor’s wife Elizabeth of witchcraft in order to have Elizabeth killed, “And what of tomorrow? She will cry me out until they take me,” (Miller ACT2) For Abigail this plan did not work in her favor. John Proctor originally was afraid of coming to Salem to tell the court what is really happening because he does not want to be accused of lechery and he does not want it to mar his good name, “I may blush for my sin.” (Miller ACT 2) John came back to Salem and he told the town about his affair with Abigail. After hearing about John’s infidelities, the town accused him of witchcraft and decided to put John Proctor on trial. Abigail runs away and the play ends with John Proctor going to the gallows.
During the late seventeenth century there was widespread want for revenge. People were accused of witchcraft because they feuded with their neighbors, “complaints regarding land disputes and personal feuds flooded the courts,” (loyno.edu). If a family had power during the witchcraft trials the charges against some people might not be valid due to the power of the family, “The accusation and arrest of many innocent people could have emerged from jealousy and resentment found in this powerful family,” (loyno.edu). In this instance belief in the paranormal was abused and distorted in for personal gain.
In the middle of the 20th century people started to claim that they have seen unidentified flying objects hovering in the sky and even landing in fields.