Gun Control: Good or Bad?

Gun control is and always will be a very important issue in this country. There are those who believe that Americans should not own guns at all--not one, zip, nada, none. They think our country would be better without them.

However, from the beginning of their invention, guns have been used for many reasons like hunting, sport, protection, and, of course, for war. One main reason that many people are against guns is the plain fact that guns kill, but nobody has ever denied that they are very effective killing utensils. The fact that guns can kill should not make them outlawed. A gun is only as dangerous as the person who is holding it, whether he is holding it out of ignorance, anger, or just plain hate. The American population has a constitutional right to bear arms. Should it be taken a way just because the wrong person chooses to harm someone? The wrong person behind the wheel of a car can potentially cause much more harm than a single bullet, but I don't see anyone trying to outlaw cars.

Many people feel that a gun-free country would be safer, less violent. When I hear that, I ask them how they think they have all the rights that they enjoy today. Guns helped form this country, and they still help protect this country today. People say that our crime rate would go down if there were no guns with which to commit crimes. Well, let me tell you, there are much worse and more painful ways to kill than a gun, but that's not the point. If you outlaw guns, criminals will buy them anyway just like crack addicts still buy their cocaine. The only difference is that our law enforcement officers won't have the guns to stop the criminals.

Another thing to think about is the people who are not criminals or police officers, but normal citizens. I personally own guns, and I use them not for any malicious intent, but for hunting and sport shooting. Guns have been a contributing factor in our ancestors survivial. They used guns to get food to provide for their families.

Instead of complaining about the extremely minimal harms guns cause, I encourage these protesters to think about all the good that has come from guns and what our society would be like without them. I want people to think about what guns have done for them because most of these people who protest may own a gun themselves or have at least shot one and would not hesitate to use one if they needed to. I truly think that this country we live in would not be the great country that it is without the feedom to bear arms. So I ask you, are guns really bad? I don't think so.

thebest1 said...
when was this essay posted?  

elmyha said...
There are many statistics that gun control in countries or even cities does not work.  The strictest gun law was enforced within the U.S. states in 1976.  This law banned citizens from owning many types of guns and no unregistered guns.  In Florida, Washington DC, Chicago, Texas and in many other countries the murder rates skyrocketed. when the ban is in action, the homicides are very abundant.  When the right to carry guns is enforced, they drop back down. The same happ... (more »)

ReDNECK said...
yes you are correct , all of the deaths did happen by a gun but what was holding the gun? a person. Because i know im just some down south redneck but im purty sure guns dont shoot themselfs , think of it like this kid , you have a family and a guy breaks into your home with a gun , all you have to protect yourself is a broom handle or somethimg of that nature , OH BUT IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED NOBODY WOULD HAVE THEM , you think , NO , criminals would onlly have more acess on the black markets to gun... (more »)

Marino79 said...
Sept. 14, 2013 at 10:41 am
Gun killings are a terrible thing. But out of all those school killings how many of those guns were actually legally owned by the shooter. Also if it's illegal to own a gun why wouldn't a criminal still own one. Obviously the break the law anyway. So because I own guns I should be looked down upon because THE GUNS kill people. My guns have never open the safe they are stored in and walked down the street to murder anyone. Another terrible murder that was completely horrific was the Boston bombin... (more »)

bhall2014 said...
Although it does say that we as citizens have the right to bear arms, look at the time period at which it was written. At the time, we had not long ago declared independence from the Tyranny of Great Britain. Of course we wanted to protect ourselves right? America has changed a little don’t you think? Unless you believe that the government could come crashing down on us at any moment, breaking down doors and slaughtering the innocent families that they serve to protect…..then why wo... (more »)

bhall2014 said...
Give me one case where someone crashed a car and killed 20 people... Cars are not nearly as deadly as a gun. If you look at death rates involving firearms across the world, you will find that America has one of the highest. Take a look at Great Britain. They PETITIONED the government to outlaw guns and they have almost no gun deaths a year. Same thing could be said for Japan. No matter how you look at it, outlawing or limiting acess to guns with lower death rates. Plain and simple.

CountryBoy replied...
@bhall2014 really because since great britians gun ban, gun violence has went up 35%, and also they have a ton of knife violence because thats their next weapon.  gun control will not work because it makes law abiding citizens more vulnerable. Thats a fact, Jack!

bhall2014 replied...
Gone up 35%? Sources please.....

bhall2014 replied...
Oh by the way, please give source of "Knive Violence" statistics.

elmyha replied...
cars are the #1 fatal deaths of people. guns are 16th. being hurt by nature is 2 times as common and we dont even hear about that!!

Skyler45 said...
i think this is a very true article

nayah said...
well i think gun cntrol is a good thing because the murder rates would get lower and america would be a safe place we wouldnt need guns if people knew how to control they selfs. also they should ban AR-15 because its easy to get to and it is used in most murders. thats my opinion about gun control.  

webyTcat replied...
there is plenty of stats that prove gun control laws that skyrocket crime rates

$crew-cuomo replied...
Banning guns won't help. A quick little reality check, criminals break the law... That's why they are called criminals. So when making a weapons ban, law abiding citizens turn in their guns and criminals don't. Gun control is just a law and criminals break the law. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Saying guns kill people is like saying pencils misspell words. And why bother banning features on these so called "assault weapons"? In my state, they banned guns with pistol grips. How the ... (more »)