Apples | Teen Ink

Apples

February 18, 2008
By Anonymous

Apples: This is a poem I read a while ago. Some of you may of read this before and some of you may not...

Girls are like apples on trees.
The best ones are at the top of the tree.
Boys don't want to reach for the good apples because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt.
Instead they get the rotten apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easy.
So the apples at the top think somethings wrong with them, when in fact they are amazing. They just havfe to wait for the right boy, the one who will risk everything, who's brave enough to climb all the way up to the top of the tree.



As a boy looking at this tree... I have to ask myself what makes an apple better from another apple? Does an easy apple really lose its value because it has already fallen or is that just what the other apples think? And why does "easy" have a connotation to sex or related to sex? If we apply this poem to life... then apples of all heights of the tree fall at around the same time. No apple is a good apple.... if prejudice lies in its core and if it does... then it won't be a good apple.... and it will fall. I will certainly climb, certainly risk everything... for a goood apple.
But not all good apples are at the top. I'll do my part to get to where I want to be... but it may not be at the top.