I Am a Vegan and I Can Eat Food Too | Teen Ink

I Am a Vegan and I Can Eat Food Too

February 12, 2008
By Anonymous

You’re a what?
But what is left to eat?
You don’t get enough protein!
How can you live without cheese!
These are just a few of the irritating questions which I am forced to answer or ignore on a regular basis. These are the questions which I wouldn’t mind answering, If only they weren’t so pathetically ill-informed.
Three years ago; I made the decision to commit to veganism; a lifestyle which promotes co-existence and respect towards animals and my own body. I would like to take this opportunity to answer these ridiculous questions; because veganism is a highly misunderstood and pre-judged lifestyle.
A vegan is more or less a passionate vegetarian. Not only do we avoid meat, but we steer clear of any animal byproducts. Essentially, that means no leather, no dairy, and no product which exploits an animal in order to exist. A vegan is a person who has strong beliefs and follows them. We are not aliens or something to be pitied or mocked.
Secondly, the absence of meat and dairy does not mean the end of the world. The argument that human beings are meant to be carnivores is ridiculous. In the same way that cavemen ceased to eat each other, humans should cease to consume animals. There are millions of other things to eat! Vegetables, fruit, grains, and not to mention the millions of synthetic, vegan friendly imitation foods are a small sample of the things we have to choose from. In this century, there are countless resources and options for those who want to live a cruelty free lifestyle. While you eat slab of undercooked and bloody meat; I happily nibble on a nutritious veggie burrito. Now you tell me who’s mal-nutritioned. As for protein; I get more than enough. Actually, I get at least twice as much nutrients in a day as someone who leads an omnivorous lifestyle. Skipping the fat in bacon, and the puss and bacteria found in milk, I eat a breakfast of natural sugars, grains and fruit. I get my protein from beans, tofu derived meat products, and vegetables. Not only is my body free of many common toxins your body may contain, I will live longer for it.
Now as for the lack of cheese, eggs, and dairy. No I do not miss it. The thought of them does however make me slightly nauseous. Although obtaining milk, eggs or cheese from an animal would not hurt them in a natural setting; in the case of commercial buying: it does. When you eat an egg or a glass of milk from the grocery store, you are contributing to factory farming and animal abuse. By drinking a glass of milk you are promoting the veal industry, which is kept alive by the need for lactating cows. Milk has not been proven to benefit the body in any way and I see no reason to drink it. Until I own a cow of my own and a couple of hens; I just won’t have anything to do with it. As for what I think about omnivores: I don’t wish them ill-fortune. I am perfectly ok with watching someone eat a hamburger in my vicinity. Worry not, I will not hit you, nor strike up a protest at your lunch-table. Contrary to popular belief; I understand that not all people are going to be convinced of such ideas. For reasons unknown to me; there are people who actually enjoy consuming animals. Although I’m not sitting aside and encouraging my friends to partake in cruelty to other life; I realize that there are some people that cannot be changed, and that’s ok. I have made a personal decision to respect life; a decision that isn’t hurting anyone; literally. I love what I’m doing and no amount of money or meat would ever make me go back. So the next time you order a hamburger meal in my presence; don’t feel sorry for tempting or offending me. Sure it’s a tad disgusting; then again I’m not the murderer. I chose to preserve life. I chose to be healthy and passionate about something I can control. I chose respect and compassion. Yes I can eat food, yes I am healthy, and no I do not miss cheese. Oh and would I eat a cow if stranded on a desert island with nothing else around?

I’ll let you be the judge on that one.