Dear Editor | Teen Ink

Dear Editor

Dear Editor,

In 1975 to 1979, over 2 million people were massacred in Cambodia as a result of Genocide. The Khmer Rouge has slaughtered Cambodians for knowing a foreign language, crying, laughing, or even smiling. As one activist stated, “(the Khmer Rouge) were beating babies to death against trees, of any adult suspected of ties to the old regime beings clubbed to death or shot, of starvation and total lack of medical care, of men with glasses being killed because they were "intellectuals".” My goal is to inform the public of this horrible tragedy that took place in Cambodia so that it will never happen again.

This genocide was the result of political corruption. Pol Pot, a man consumed with communist ideology, wanted Cambodia to become a communist country after it received independence from France. He formed a party called the Khmer Rouge, and takes up arms in 1970, the beginning of a civil war. 5 years later, the Khmer Rouge came into power. A doomed beginning for many, Pol Pot massacres 25% of the population, and leaves over 60% homeless. This horrible tragedy cannot be undone, but we can to do many things to help it.

The first thing you can do to help is to love. Love everyone, forgive people, and do not hate. This is the first step to ending genocide in our world. Next, voice your opinion. Share what you know, and tell everyone what they can do to help. Also, volunteer to help countries that have been devastated by genocide, because you will be surprised to know how much you can help. In our world, the smallest things make the biggest difference, and if everyone knew this, the world would be a much better place.