teenage freedom | Teen Ink

teenage freedom

By katie-kit-kat BRONZE, Citrus Hieghts, California
katie-kit-kat BRONZE, Citrus Hieghts, California

Dear teenagers,

Have you ever thought about the way your parents are always on your back all the time? Of course you have! Parents want to know where you are, what you’re doing, the time you’re doing it, and how you are. They believe it’s their right and to some degree that is true; but they need to realize when too much is too much.

The thing we all want in life is freedom. Free to be independent and do what we want. Yet, most of us can’t even walk home from school without being bothered. Every day my mom calls me when I leave school and fifteen minutes later she texts me to make sure I’m still walking home. Sometimes I just want to say “da!” but I know it would just get me in trouble.
I know my responsibilities and I’m sure many others my age do too . We need trust & understanding. On Ask.com a quote says, ”Nothing is as precious as one's freedom. Dreams, aspirations, and ideals mean nothing if one does not have the freedom to pursue them.”
One way this problem can be solved is by talking to your parent…it’s as simple as that. Sit down in a comfortable environment and think of maybe a schedule or a time frame you are aloud to be out and about. Say to your parents that it can get annoying having to pick up your phone every 10 minutes. You can also tell them where you are going before your leave, if you don’t; don’t be surprised if they call.
Parents can get really annoying, but remember they are still the adults in the equation. You should be able to do the things you want and not be bothered in the action of it.

Yours truly,
Katie

i hope that those of you teenagers out there will help fix this problem, and show your parents this editorial. hopefully it will be a more fun place in this world (: