Open Letter to Grocery Shoppers | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Grocery Shoppers

January 13, 2012
By Anonymous

Dear Unfashionable Grocery Store Customers,

I would first like to note that this letter is intended to help provide proper fashion suggestions for individuals such as yourselves. I understand that immersing yourself in the intense world of grocery shopping is the last thing you want to do in your busy day. By voicing my observations and opinions, I hope to improve the way a handful of you present yourselves in public. It pains me to see comedians and emails degrade their perceptions of you through jokes and photographs. My intention is to try to benefit each of you, not to cause a negative uproar from my message.

Most of us who attend stores such as Walmart or IGA, enter the facility in an appropriate combination of attire. Unfortunately, there are the rest of the shoppers who feel personal representation isn't a priority. This may cause some of you emotional strain due to social degrading of appearance. One way of preventing events such as these is to know what is uniquely appropriate to you and your location. Pajamas and improper-fitting clothes are two examples of outfits to stay away from. Secondly, it is always important to remember the use of all necessary undergarments. In a recent study, data shows an average grocery shopper spends 260 hours per year in the store. That is a lot of time to not care about your appearance in public!

On another note, personal hygiene plays a major role in public interaction, especially in densely populated buildings such as grocery stores. This key factor not only causes others to notice you in a more positive manor, but it's healthy for you as well! For some, cleanliness may prove difficult but it will make you feel like a whole new person. There is nothing worse than being humiliated in front of others due to a case of body odor. It is crucial that you keep yourself fresh and revitalized when being around other customers of the store your attending. Let us want to get a sense of the real you!

The last tip that I would like to suggest is hair treatment and styling. Every now and then there is that individual whose scalp could use a little TLC. My advice is to treat yourself to a nice hair salon in your area. Professional stylists can assist you with whatever you need, whether it be a haircut, new care products or an entire new style. Whatever the case may be, don't be afraid to try new things. There are always options, you just have to get out and explore the possibilities.

I suggest that you take whatever step necessary to make yourself feel better about the way you look. There is always a reference to follow when it comes to rejuvenating yourself, even if it means asking for help. Get out and incorporate different styles and health tools to benefit you. Maybe even take a risk and try something that you never dreamed of doing. This is about you announcing to the world what you are made of in a fashionable way. Show the grocery store who's boss.

Sincerely,

Your Friend

The author's comments:
When we first started brainstorming ideas for this letter, I thought I was going to write a positive piece towards my bosses at work. After reading samples from other students on our teacher's website, I redirected my mindset to something that bothers me. That's when I came up with my topic to inform those who go out in public dressed improperly to update their styles. I wanted to use something that really irritates me because I felt I could develop an abundant amount of my opinions on it. I enjoyed expressing my negative side in front of others without worrying my tone would be perceived in the wrong way.

In order to ensure that my readers would understand that my letter is solely focused on benefiting them, I introduced that idea right off. The introduction was intended to draw them in before laying out my thoughts. I put myself on their side in order to make them feel like I am a friend. An example of this is in lines 1-2, " I would first like to note that this letter is intended to help provide proper fashion suggestions for individuals such as yourselves. I understand that immersing yourself in the intense world of grocery shopping is the last thing you want to do in your busy day." I used this technique so that I wouldn't scare them off from considering to add a new tool to their lives.

The largest problem I faced when creating this piece was trying to give advice without making the individual receiving the message upset with what I think is wrong with them. I noticed that choosing the correct word usage is key in overcoming my difficulty. You want to make it sound like whatever you are suggesting will help the person not "fix" them. Being respectful is the most crucial tool in creating a letter such as this one.