Imagination | Teen Ink

Imagination

December 5, 2011
By Anonymous

You never know how powerful certain things can be. Your mind can be one of the strongest things you will ever come across in your life, as does imagination. This type of power can be found almost anywhere around you. As well as in certain stories, imagination is being expressed in so many ways around you. Your mind is used every day, like others’, and influences almost all of your thoughts and ideas. Therefore, an imaginative mind is a powerful tool.

Imagination can be found anywhere. One place where it is most commonly found is in writing. The short story “The Wish” by Roald Dahl is a great example of how imagination can be shown in certain stories. The little boy in the story was able to use his mind to create a game for himself. First, he found a carpet that was black, red, and yellow colored. His imaginative mind made him believe that the black part of the carpet was a bundle of snakes, the red part was hot rocks, and the yellow part was safety. He also believed that if he crossed the carpet “safely,” he would get a puppy for his birthday the next day. Unfortunately, he didn’t make it across the carpet and fell into the “snakes” beneath him. This story is a great example of how an imaginative mind is a powerful tool because actual fear was created in the mind of the boy, which determined him to cross the carpet on only the yellow parts. His reality was completely taken over by the realistic fear of the snakes and the hot rocks that his mind and imagination had created. This story is just one of many that express how powerful an imaginative mind can be.

Not only is imagination expressed in fictional stories, it is shown in real life as well. Most kids, like the boy in “The Wish,” use their imaginative minds every day. For instance, many kids use their imagination to occupy time, with or without friends. The most common way that kids express their minds is by creating games of their own. Your imagination can let you do anything you want to do and be anyone you want to be, in your mind of course. Because of this, kids can quickly put their minds to work and get lost in their own worlds. Another way that imagination can be used in real life is through art and music. People all over the world have been using their imaginative minds to create the most amazing art and music for years. Your imagination is able to run wild as you throw all of your powerful thoughts onto paper. It is a great way to express yourself and allows you put your thoughts into action. Art and music are great examples of how an imaginative mind is a powerful tool because ideas are able to be expressed and are enjoyed by many people, all because of what your mind has created. All in all, imagination is shown in many ways all around you.

An imaginative mind is definitely a powerful tool, so powerful that it can change reality for any individual. Anyone who believes that it is not a powerful tool, I believe, is incorrect. They may think that it has no power whatsoever; that it is simply just another part of the human brain. That is completely wrong, though. Imagination is a totally separate part of our brains that allows us to create and imagine things that are completely unreal to the real world. The mind can also easily overpower what is happening in reality. It can open new doors for us and expand the life that we know now. Imagination can be used in both good and bad ways with good and bad thoughts. Your mind is one of the most powerful things known to man. Everything that we know now was once created with imagination; therefore it is a very powerful tool.

Although imagination is not a tool that you can physically hold, it is still very powerful. “The Wish” shows that our minds can sometimes completely fade out reality. Similarly, real life situations can be the same way. We can use our imaginations in any way we want, whether it is just for fun or for the use of others. Other examples can support these ideas and can be found in the world around us. With an imaginative mind, anything is possible.