Banning Books No Way | Teen Ink

Banning Books No Way

October 21, 2011
By jazmine.XD BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky
jazmine.XD BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Banning books should never be allowed because they are an important part of history.


Why and how are books part of history you may ask. It’s because during some parts of history many countries wanted to erase there history. Like for example, in Germany many years ago during the Holocaust barely anyone knew the point of view of the Jewish, until a young girl’s diary was found and published as the well know book, ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’. Even thought the diary was published after the Holocaust it gave us more info on how the Jewish were treated and the mistakes of the Nazis. Without using this book we might have never truly know the truth of their treatment and history would have been bound to repeat this terrible time.


Labeling books is a great way to prevent a book’s age/reading context to be mixed up by little kids. But what happens if the kids and parents don’t read them? The kids end up in trouble. I think that if a child try’s to check out an inappropriate book than the librarian should have the parents sign a form saying they know that book may have inappropriate material in side. Now then would be to blame if young Adam learns a swear word?


Parents should be more considerate of there child’s book type readings because as kids grow older they believe there old enough to read adult books. Boy were they wrong. And when they come to a word they don’t know they will turn and ask the parents, creating an embarrassing moment and the child would be grounded for no reason. And to prevent this all mom or dad had to do was read the label and say no. So parents please read the labels.


In conclusion books should not be banned because of there content but labeled and looked at before the reader checks it out.