Everybody Deserves a Second Chance Which Starts in my Own Life | Teen Ink

Everybody Deserves a Second Chance Which Starts in my Own Life

October 12, 2011
By allstar SILVER, Mendon, Massachusetts
allstar SILVER, Mendon, Massachusetts
5 articles 18 photos 0 comments

Every person in this universe has made a mistake at one point or another. People need to forgive and forget. People do things not knowing that they are hurtful and demeaning. It has happened to me, and I always forgive the person and give them another chance.


Second chances are a wonderful thing everyone should have. I know that this starts with my own life. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” Carl Bard’s quote is exactly how I feel on the subject. I know that people make mistakes; it’s not what they did but how they fix it and what happens after.


Second chances and forgiveness starts in my own life! It is good to forgive, but even better to be forgiven. I have made mistakes, like most people, but my friends and family are so loving, they always forgive me. Forgiveness and second chances are times where you show to people that: yes, I made a mistake; yes, I am sorry for what I did; and yes, I have changed.



I know about forgiveness and second chances first hand. I found out about a friend who I had known my whole life was spreading secrets about me. When I confronted her, she told me it was a “misunderstanding.” I was not completely positive of her motives. She apologized to me for the situation getting out of hand, and I forgave her. That was two years ago. Now, we are the closest two people can get. I knew giving her a second chance could be awful, or be an amazing thing. In this scenario, everything worked out awesome for both of us!


Another time, I was the one looking for forgiveness. I had grabbed a stack of papers that I thought were trash because they were from the beginning of the year, and I threw them in the recycle bin. I did not know the significance of those papers at the time. My friend came back from talking to the teacher and started looking franticly for things on her desk. She said in a frazzled voice “Sarah! Have you seen all the papers on the table?” I told her that I had thrown them in the recycling bin because they were from the beginning of the year and I thought they were mine. Then, after searching through the recycle bin and not finding them all, I found out she was using those to study for our science final. I felt so bad! She got a little upset, but she finally forgave me! I was so relieved when she did; I made a huge mistake. We are best friends now. If not for her giving me a second chance, things would probably be very different now.


Sorry is an unoriginal and overworked word, but is an important part of forgiveness. People use this word out of habit lots of times just to get out of something. Forgiveness is only able to happen when one person apologizes for their actions using this word or something close to it. It may be true or it may not; only time will tell.


Second chances are always great for those who deserve them. People should be able to live their life without wondering: “Am I doing something wrong? I hope nobody gets mad at me.” If you really show remorse about what you have done, you will usually get a second chance.