The Beauty Of The English Sentence | Teen Ink

The Beauty Of The English Sentence

August 4, 2011
By ElizabethC. BRONZE, West Linn, Oregon
ElizabethC. BRONZE, West Linn, Oregon
3 articles 2 photos 0 comments

While reading To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, I found myself ogled by some of her writing. The way she dug herself into each character amazed me. Some sentences that really stood out to me were:
When Atticus was explaining to Jem why the jury had proven an innocent man guilty, “I don’t know, but they did it. They’ve done it before and they did it tonight and they’ll do it again and when they do it—seems that only children weep. Good night.” Chapter 22. Page 215.

I find beauty in the abruptness that Harper Lee put into that sentence. Atticus is talking to his children in a very deep matter, which shows he is raising wise children. His kids are being brought up in a home that is not like the others in Maycomb, Alabama. They are being taught to not judge a person by their skin. When Atticus says, “—seems only children weep,” I believe he is saying that the only sympathy and empathy of the judgment of race can come from a new generation because the one they are currently living in is so corrupted by racism.

When Mr. Raymond was explaining to Scout why he pretends to be a drunk by drinking Coca-Cola out of a brown paper bag, “…you mean why do I pretend? Well it is very simple; Some folks don’t—like the way I live. Now I could say the hell with ‘em, I don’t care if they don’t like it. I do say I don’t care if they don’t like it, right enough—but I don’t say the hell with ’em, see?” Chapter 20. Page 200.
In these sentences Scout is given more of a blunt way of explaining why you should not care what other people think. Harper Lee tells us through the message in her book that judgment is not the best way of living. I found in these sentences Harper Lee was giving her innocent character a bit of a more exposed way to think about judgment. With Atticus’ daily words of wisdom to Scout and this encounter with Mr. Raymond, Scout had a good message displayed to her.

When Lula displayed her racism against whites she said to Calpurnia, “You ain’t got no business bringin’ white chillun here—they got their church, we got our’n.” Chapter 12. Page 118.
Harper Lee did not give one point of view when giving her characters perspectives of racism. Lula was a black woman who at the presence of the Finch children was not happy that Calpurnia was bringing white children to a church that had a population of almost all black people. I found that the way Harper Lee gave us the view of many different people is very beautiful in her writing. She was not trying to point the finger of racism at one race, she was showing how as a community Maycomb was suffering from a lot of prejudice and hypocritical people. A lot of people during the time in which To Kill A Mockingbird takes place were blinded by the concept of racism. As a reader of her work, I found that given the views of so many different races, religions, and classes, I was given a much larger understanding of how people were dealing with the corrupt society in such a safe and small town in Alabama.


The author's comments:
This is my point of view about the conflicts Harper Lee convey's in To Kill A Mockingbird. (And an overall summary of her book.)