Suicide: True Story | Teen Ink

Suicide: True Story

By Keeeeeely BRONZE, Anonymous, Ohio
Keeeeeely BRONZE, Anonymous, Ohio

Dance like nobodys watching, love like you've never been hurt, sing like nobodys listening, live like its heaven on earth
-mark twain

Teen Suicide. Attached with feelings of strong emotion or little care, but it matters. And it can be prevented.

I went to my school dance this February and met the most amazing person. She came with my friend, and automatically, she fit right in with everyone around her. She was confident in with herself, and I admired that. She had guys forming groups around her to talk and dance. She made everyone laugh and was just a fun, happy person to be around. Nobody, including myself, could’ve ever imagined what would happen just a few months later.

I personally didn’t know this girl. We met one time, and while being with her, we had a great time. She may not have remembered me that well, and to be honest, I hadn’t really thought much about her afterwards. The only reminder of that night was the dark picture on my phone that we all took together. But when I saw her obituary in the paper, I definitely couldn’t believe it.

When you hear about suicides, you feel sympathy for the family or community around it, but it doesn’t take control of your life. You just forget and continue on. I can’t even begin to explain the feelings I felt after I found out. Even the people who didn’t know her were shaken, because when a 15 year old kills herself all of the sudden, it takes you by surprise. What bothered me so much was that she was my age, my grade, and I had actually seen her first hand months before as this cool, care-free person whom I had grown to admire.

I figured out that she killed herself over a group of girls who had been harassing her online over a website. I went on it and read things that I wont even begin to think about again, because they were just horrible. The nerve these girls had to say and call this girl names. The things they would continuously threaten to her each day. What had cause this intense cruelness? How had the confident girl who seemed she hadn’t had the care in the world that night fall for the things being said to her, and then think that the only solution was to end her life?

Family, friends, teachers. You can get help. What these girls did, along with any other bully out there is just plain wrong, and sad that it can create such a devastating effect. I wished and still wish that the outcome could’ve been different. The parents could’ve been alerted, she could’ve gone to the school to get these girls away, gotten off of the website. People are out there to help, and I pray every night about what could’ve been done and what can be done today. With telling one adult, her problem could’ve been fixed. Why waste such a flourishing future on a couple of ignorant, jealous, girls? Imagine these girls now.

You’d definitely think that after such a devastating effect on bullying, people in school who think they’re cool to make fun of other people would stop. But even after yet another girl just killed herself at 15 from the same school not even a month ago, I came home crying everyday because of being bullied by one ignorant person in school. I let it go for awhile, and even thought about what a relief it would be just to end it all and not have to face the stupid people and their hurtful ways again. But, I thought of my family, and how much hurt and pain I would give them for the rest of their lives if I were to continue this thinking. So, I told about the bully and got the problem fixed.

You may not feel brave enough to speak up, or you might think, “Oh, I’ll just be snitching, and if they find out, It’ll only get worse,” but that’s wrong. If you get help, you can get rid of the problem and feel good again. The first thing that came to my mind was that if I told, the person bullying me would find out, and then it would mean a double-dose of hurtful things my way. But I got through it, and the bully was put far from me in school. Nothing is worth ending your life over. A broken relationship, a death, bullying.

People in this world in my opinion, have grown incredibly immature and stupid. To spend their time making another persons life so miserable is so wrong, and I cant stand to believe that people continue to do it, knowing of the consequences it can lead to.

The girl I met didn’t deserve to die. The bullying that take place everyday shouldn’t exist. We need to speak up and put a stop to the suicides that occur everyday and are the 3rd leading cause of death in teens. Make a promise to yourself to speak up when you see someone being bullied, even if it means the person to turn on you. Be nice to everyone and treat each person with the same respect and equality.

You never know when you’ll make a difference in another person’s life in stopping them from doing something they’ll regret.

I hope with reading this, you underdstand the hurt that comes with suicide, and that it's not the solution to your problems.

Tiffani said...
I agree!  It's sad that so many people don't know where to turn to get help.

I can't even begin to explain how great this is! People see suicide as something to shy away from, but you're putting it out there to be heard. You're a great writer also! Keep it up!!!

Maria96 said...
This is an amazing piece... it really hits home and gets you thinking. This kind of thing is important, and we need to acknowledge it. Great work! :)

on Jul. 12 2011 at 8:41 am
Keeeeeely BRONZE, Anonymous, Ohio

-mark twain

This is something everyone should read and understand. It goes on, and with the more people who can help, we can definitely make a difference!