Where am I Going in Life? | Teen Ink

Where am I Going in Life?

May 29, 2011
By Anonymous

This is the question that I ask myself almost daily. I’m not sure whether I will ever figure this out, or if I’ll just make it by. I hope to eventually make up my mind, but I don’t know. I can’t seem to take responsibility seriously. I can’t handle the freedom of having a car without screwing it up. If I can’t make it by without getting in trouble when I’m sixteen, how am I going to survive when I have to pay for my own house and bills and college?
I truly don’t know the answer to the questions above, but I do know that I will make it by on my abilities. I might not be the most apparent choice for some things, and I may rise above everyone else in other cases. But, overall, I will have to compete with everyone else in the world to make it by. People who are raised to expect everything will be provided for them are going to be sadly disappointed. The world doesn’t work that way. Those who work for what they have will have a much fuller and meaningful life than those who sit back and have a good time.
I plan to make the most of my life, but I don’t know how to start, so how do I start. Responsibility is a key factor in life. How I handle responsibility is not how I want to. I push everything off, and then try to blame others, but that’s not how it works. When I screw up, it’s me who screws up, not my brother or my parents or friends. It’s me. I am the sole person for my mess ups, and I need to clean up my own messes, and deal the repercussions. If I screw up and decide to go do something, it is my fault not anyone else.
To address the first question, I don’t know where I’m going in life, but I know that the will be ups and downs. I also know that I am responsible for keeping myself in line. I also need to learn that I’m not responsible for the actions of others. They can make their own decisions. I am going to make the most of my life and not worry about others. My life will be full and eventful. Hopefully this will be true, and not just an idea.