Anorexia, bulimia - the ultimate price of glory... | Teen Ink

Anorexia, bulimia - the ultimate price of glory...

May 27, 2011
By JanHorejsi BRONZE, Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
JanHorejsi BRONZE, Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

To eat or not to eat... These two eating disorders could be easily compared to a modern type of drug use. Even though you don't need dirty needles found somewhere on the dump site, you still chase that fleeting goal of mind happiness. But there are other ways to achieve a beautiful visage. Don't throw away your health for a changeable mask. What most people don't realize is that troubles concerning food intake have silently developed into a serial killer.
Eating disorders are closely tied to a sensational condition. That's why the most common age to develop disorders is at the time of emotional development - puberty. That is, however, also the time of connecting to other people and finding your own space in society. Anorexia or bulimia can put you out of your circle of friends in a minute. It is almost ironic that an anxiety for a beautiful body that everybody would like, can drive your close ones away, is it not?
Suddenly, a not normal relation to food appears - either anorectic refusing to eat because of a wrong feeling of being overweight or bulimic, compensation for a momentary excessive eating in a form of vomiting or overusing of laxatives. Both processes are not only extremely dangerous due to their damaging of health, but also critical for one's right psychological growth. People can develop chronic depressions, low self-confidence, or complete loss of contact with the surrounding world.
All the issues can concentrate and have an ultimate and fatal consequences at the end. To have a slim and beautiful body is one thing. But to lose good health and pay a high price for it is a completely different thing. There is always another way to follow your dreams... - in this case a reliable and easy diet would also be a solution. All it needs is more patience and less sacrifice, and the results wills show up eventually. Considering - "it is estimated that nearly one-half of patients with anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa recover, 33 percent improve somewhat, and 20 percent remain chronically ill. Numerous studies have attempted to identify predictors of the course and recovery of anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa, but these findings have been contradictory and unclear" (Academy of Eating Disorders).
Anorexia and bulimia can become very dangerous if not treated properly. If you know somebody in your area that might unknowingly suffer from food intake disorders, act responsibly. Do not underestimate the powers of a desiring person. We all have dreams. But only a few can achieve the,... the healthy way.

The author's comments:
Academy of Eating Disorders. "Course and Outcome of Eating Disorders," 2009. 16 May 2011. <http://www.aedweb.org/Course_and_Outcomes.htm>