Texting and Driving | Teen Ink

Texting and Driving

May 23, 2011
By BradGuy BRONZE, Westlake, Texas
BradGuy BRONZE, Westlake, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One of the biggest problems with people today and teens in particular is texting and driving. It may not seem like a big deal, but in 2010, studies say a total of 6,000 people died and over half a million car accidents were caused by texting and driving. These studies have also concluded that texting and driving causes more deaths than drinking and driving.

When you text and drive your brain’s reaction speed is reduced by 35 percent. Texting and driving reduces your reaction speed more than if you drink and drive, which reduces your reaction speed by 12 percent. Police are always on alert for drunk drivers, so why isn’t there a law against texting and driving in all states?

Eighteen states in the United States have made texting and driving illegal. Some have made it illegal only if you are a minor. Others only make it illegal if you are a bus driver and you have children aboard. I find it ridiculous that it is still legal in some states at all. I think that every state should have a law banning texting and driving a motor vehicle. It has become one of the leading causes of traffic deaths and people need to learn not to do it. No matter how good of a driver you think you are, taking your eyes off the road for an instant can cause a disaster.

Before I turn on my car, I get all the texting out of my system and turn on some music. I then place my phone in the cup holder. If everybody did this, than we wouldn’t have 6,000 people dying a year and over half a million car wrecks. It would save a lot of lives and a lot of money. Having to live with the fact that you have hurt or killed someone would be one of the worst things in the world.

The truth is, that no texts are not worth dying for, even if it’s a text that says “Jonny likes you”. It’s more important to keep yourself safe and to keep your fellow man safe as well. Do your part by spreading the word and not texting and driving.