Modify Me Captain! | Teen Ink

Modify Me Captain!

By o0JennyLee0o BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky
o0JennyLee0o BRONZE, Nicholasville, Kentucky

Body Modification, it’s tattoos piercings, even branding and scarification. But it also goes beyond that. It’s also plastic surgery, body building, suspension, even cosmetics. Body modification is whatever you do to body to change it to the way you like it. Most do it for self expression, artistic expression, or just because the want to be different from the others they surround. But if you have parents or guardians like mine, “You will never be aloud to get anything like that because it makes you ugly.” Well you know what? Who are they to tell you what your body should look like? To me, things like this are beautiful. It lets people see who you are on the inside without really telling them. I’m an artist, so when I see people with mods, I see art, courage, and personality. Not stupidity, ugliness, or insanity.

Body modifications have become more common now than it ever has. How many people do you know or see with tattoos or piercings? There are tons in my school, and each time I see someone with something that I want, I get envious. My parents are so judgmental but the main problem is my Dad. He still lives in the old days and says things like ‘You wont get a good job.’ Or ‘It looks gross.’ Or ‘if you do I wont look at you the same way.’ Well the thing is dad, it’s my body. I think I should have the right to decorate it however I want to.

But at the same time he makes a point, well about jobs that is. I can understand that body mods can be a problem if you want to have a job like a lawyer, doctor, scientist, business person, teacher, or professional jobs like that because it could ‘make you look unprofessional’ or intimidate the people you work with. But normally when people want those kinds of jobs they’re not really into them in the first place. But think about this. Those jobs require nice outfits that cover the majority of their body. How often do you see your doctor’s arms or legs? What about a lawyer? Or even a teacher? You really don’t. So as long as the things are covered up why should it matter? As long as they don’t tell you, you probably would never know.

‘It looks gross.’ I think this comment was the one that bothered me the most. Who says that to their son/daughter? That could really hurt someone’s feelings and make them regret getting it done, and they would be stuck with it. Everyone should love their body, no matter what size, shape, or color. No one has the right to tell you that it’s ‘gross’. You can modify your body however you want as long as your sure that’s what you want to do. There is such thing as mutilation to. But that’s what you do to yourself that you did out of anger, rebellion, or any kind of reason that you have. If you did something to your body that you regret, then that’s mutilation. So be sure that you modify your self because YOU want to. Don’t do something that someone told you to do, or that you did to spite someone else. Get it done because that’s what YOU want.

‘If you do I wont look at you the same way.’ If they say something like this, it’s probably just because they want to scare you. They don’t want you to get mods, so they think threatening or shunning, would make you change your mind. But don’t give in. Don’t let them win. If you really want to get a mod, then that’s your choice. Not theirs. When you do get it, they might ignore you for a while, but eventually they will have to get used to it. If they truly love you, they will get over it and see that you are still the same person, despite how your appearance changed.

I plan on getting mods too. I really want spider bites on my lip, and my ears pierced more, and possibly collar bone piercings. I want tattoos, and scarifications, but I have to wait till I’m 18 to get them. My mom said she would go with me to get my first tattoo when I’m 18 so I’m pretty excited. I’m really glad that she sees the artist side of me and understands that no matter how many mods I get, I’m still going to be the same person. I also don’t think my job would care if I have mods either since I’m going to be a beautician. So I’m in the safe zone about my body modifications. But don’t let anyone tell you that you shouldn’t get anything that you really want. They don’t have the right to tell you what you need to do to your own body.