Problems with the Middle Eastern War | Teen Ink

Problems with the Middle Eastern War

By thomasjm BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
thomasjm BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

"The strongest chai is only as strong as its weakest link"

Thousands of Americans have lost their lives in the war against terrorism in the Middle East. The current American death toll looks to be around 4,300. I believe that the war on terrorism in the Middle East should be abandon. I also believe that we should bring back our troops and focus more on our country, and improving it by helping law enforcement, and aiding our hospitals and schools.

We are currently losing more and more money to the war against terrorism, and our economy is taking damage from it. While we sit over there and wait for further orders, our money is slipping out of our hands. The estimated total cost of the war is reaching $4,000,000,000,000. While we wait we must not forget the debt of this nation is running through the roof. Over 4,300 of our soldiers have been killed in combat against terrorist. Studies show that that number is now on the rise. Imagine being a soldier on the front lines, with limited resources, battling around every corner. Studies also show that 68% of Americans oppose the war on terrorism. So if the people do not want the war, why are we still there? It is not un-American to oppose the war on terrorism, especially if you believe in the lives of our troops. We could end our economic troubles from the money we can salvage from the war if we pull out now, and use the hard earned tax payer’s money back into the system, and improve jobs and prices of goods. There are just over 1.7 million people in the American army, and we should support them by bringing back the men and women that are deployed.

We must join together to let the government know about how we feel about the war. Ending the war is obviously what people want, since 60% of Americans want to put a set date where we pull out all of the troops fighting terrorism, and bring them back to the U.S. "This is a war that each passing day confirms what I have said before and I will say again. This war in Iraq is a grotesque mistake; it is not making America safer, and the American people know it." Said Nancy Pelosi, Majority Leader of the House of Representatives on June 20, 2005.
In 2007 there was a study about how Americans feel about winning the war. 66% said either we can win, but will not, or said we cannot win. Only 11% of the population said that we will defiantly win. How can we win a war when 66% of America believes that we cannot? 58% of Americans believe that the initial attack on Iraq was a mistake, and that we should not have take action to begin with. Also 67% of Americans disapproved of the actions that George W. Bush did in handling the war on terrorism situation. Now why are there so many different names for the war? The Iraq war, the Middle Eastern war, the war on terrorism. I believe it is because not even our own government knows what we want to come out of it.

Again, I believe that the war on terrorism is not a good plan to keep doing, and I believe we need to bring our soldiers back home. We can save lots of money, because if we were not over there we wouldn’t have to pay for all of the supplies and the transportation of troops and goods to the warzone. We wouldn’t have to pay for ammunition and expensive food deliveries to troops. We definitely can save many more lives if we pull our troops out. So I ask you good people of America, What are we doing, and why are we doing it?

This is a paper i wrote for english