Stem Cell Research | Teen Ink

Stem Cell Research

March 4, 2011
By Anonymous

Even though it can help cure diseases and illnesses, embryonic stem cell research should not be used because it is a possible life being destroyed and there are alternatives like umbilical cords and adult tissues and organs such as bone marrow. The embryonic stem cell is not necessarily needed. There are alternatives that can be used instead. Unlike embryonic stem cells, the alternatives have actually been proven to work.

Embryonic stem cells are not a reliable procedure. They have not been successfully proven to cure. Scientists say that it might take years or decades before it can actually work. Most people with a disease don’t have that long to wait. Also they have many problems like causing uncontrollable tumors. The body’s immune system could reject the stem cell as well. One opposition is taking an embryo. Embryonic stem cells are taken from embryos that are developed from fertilized eggs. This is a big opposition because they consider it like abortion. Also churches don’t accept this practice so many religious people oppose it. It is morally and ethically wrong to kill an embryo because it is killing a human. Everyone disserves the beauty of life no matter the stage of life they are in.

Another resistant is the fact that there are alternatives. Embryo stem cells have not solved any problems yet. People say to give it time and it could really make a difference. But does our government have the money to fund this project? Why spend thousands of dollars on something that we already have? Adult stem cells are blank cells, capable of becoming another cell type in the body, such as a nerve cell, a muscle cell, or a skin cell. Adult stem cell has already been used in many successful therapies. It is a more natural procedure that doesn’t cause tumors. Adult stem cell has cured Anemia’s , multiple types of cancers, Cornea Regeneration, Osteopetrosis, child Leukemia’s, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Myelomas, Crohn´s Disease, Spinal Cord Injury, and so many more. Amy Daniels is a woman whose disease has been successfully cured by adult stem cells. This mother of two was diagnosed with scleroderma, a disease that attacked her in the skin and lungs, making her body stiff and tight like stone. Amy felt hopeless and was preparing to die and let go of her family. Then while researching Amy came upon adult stem cell research. The cells were taken from her own body, without hurting another human being. Immediately, it started working and in just six months her body loosen. She was able to be a mother and a wife again. Because of adult stem cell research Amy Daniels was given hope and was able to live her life once again. Another success story, is a young women named Jackie Rabon. In 2003, at the age of sixteen, Jackie Rabon was in a devastating accident. The accident shattered her spine, resulting in her becoming a paraplegic. Jackie was told she would never walk again. Then she heard about adult stem cell research. She used adult stem cells from her nose and her body was able to heal itself. With the help of braces and therapies, she was able to walk again.


These success stories are heart warming and inspiring. Adult stem cell has allowed doctors to ease the pain and suffering and save a person’s life, with out destroying the innocent life of another. A life for a life is not the way it has to be. Embryonic stem cell research is not the solution, adult stem cell is. Adult stem cell has given many patients the hope, the courage, and the strength to live their lives as fully and beautifully.