The Loch Ness Monster | Teen Ink

The Loch Ness Monster

March 4, 2011
By Littleanne BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
Littleanne BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Many accounts have been given about the Loch Ness. Since the 20th century, sightings have been flowing into the public and all around the internet. When there are so many accounts on so little proof, it may seem overly folly and more than far-fetched. Some are convinced of the “loons” that inhabit Scotland and how they somehow invent these myths called Nessy. Separating fact from fiction may be near to impossible so it is my job to give substantial accounts of the monster so the public can come to their own conclusion to whether Nessy is in act inhabiting Loch Ness.

As stated before, most accounts of the Loch Ness have been sighted during the 1930’s but some authors and historians believe that sightings could go back to the 6th century in the account of the Life of St. Columba. The biography states that while the Irish Monk came across the river Ness he was attacked by a “water beast”. The beast dragged a man and pulled him under. The man died but St. Columba clamed of stopping the monster with the sign of the cross before it killed again. Some might not believe this is all accurate but we can easily say that this story might have come from some truth.

Nessy appeared again for the first time in the 20th century in 1933 when George Spicer and his wife saw a “most extraordinary form of animal” while in their car. The accounts describe the monster having a large body and a long narrow neck. The couple also said that they saw the monster carrying a small animal in its mouth while walking towards the Loch Ness Lake. This account started the modern day mystery of the “Loch Ness Monster” and had the country Scotland forever reeling over the mystery.
After many discoveries but no proof, Roy Mackal started a search in 1970 called the “Big Expedition”. By using a new system of hydrophones to detect sounds underwater, Mackal and his team placed two of them in the Loch Ness, one hydrophone being 300 feet deep, and the other 600. For two nights the team recorded the sounds underwater and played them to the very excited, LNIB (Loch Ness Investigation Bureau). They detected a series of chirps like a bird and knocks and clicks. After investigating further Mackal stated that, “competent authorities state that none of the known forms of life in the Loch has the anatomical capabilities of producing such calls.” The expedition proved that there is something in the Loch that we have not yet discovered whatever that may be.
There are a few theories that people have to what the Loch Ness could really be. One of the many is that Nessy could be a cousin to the “Champ” living in Lake Champlain. The idea is not so far fetched considering that both accounts of the monsters describe the same characteristics. Both tend to follow the same pattern of obscurity considering that not a lot of people have found them and there is no hard evidence to their existence. There are few accounts of violence except in very scarce circumstances. Even though they are miles apart, both monsters live in the same environment. The lakes they inhabit have approximately the same temperature and are known to be “dark” or “murky” with organic debris floating around. Last but not least the monsters do look alike taking into consideration the accounts that have been accumulated. Both have fins on their sides and both monsters appear to have a long neck.
Another theory is that the Loch Ness could be a dinosaur called the plesiosaurus. This is what the Loch Ness relatively looks like and this could be possible considering the amount of species that survived mass extinctions. For example the platypus who survived for 110 million years. The ant who survived 120 million years, the cockroach survived 350 million years and the horseshoe crab that has survived a whopping 440 million years (5 mass extinctions).
Nessy is a world-wide phenomenon that no one can really prove it does or does not exist. To go on either side of the argument would be something not totally proved. Who is to say that The Loch Ness Monster does not exist? The evidence we have today is not substantial enough to put this case to rest, so we will wait until technology will allow us to prove this controversy.

The author's comments:
This is about the Loch Ness and the possibility that it could exist.