Unplugged | Teen Ink

Unplugged

By Bigmax14 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Bigmax14 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois

In my opinion, today’s society consists of two things, people and technology. Both madly in love with each other, they cannot stop obsessing about one another. The human race has embraced technology with a vengeance and probably won’t ever let go of it. While I realize that technology has made life much simpler for me and most other people on earth, I wonder what has happened to the times when people used to have face-to-face conversations instead of Facetime and Facebook. I’m not saying that I hate technology. Honestly, I love it and can’t live without it. I feel lonely without my phone or Facebook. I don’t think I would know what’s happening around me without those two items. But I sometimes wonder whether I could survive without them. Not physically, but emotionally and socially. There have been times when I have been on vacation out of the country and I didn’t have my phone with me. When I came back, I had no idea what was going on with my friends or in the news. I felt like an outsider, a loner for a short time, but I got back into the thick of things and felt normal once again. I’m afraid that one day, everything will be done with technology; you won’t even have to get up from the couch to get a meal. Our human culture is becoming like that today. For example, I have the iPhone 4, which I think is the best phone invented yet. I don’t believe I could function without it, but I sometimes become annoyed even with the most advanced technology. When I am texting someone and they reply with a message that could be taken as either anger or sarcasm, I don’t know what to think. How should I reply? What did they mean? This is one of many flaws of technology that I hope will soon be fixed. Even though I am a technology lover at heart, I wonder whether face-to-face conversations will again become as normal as texting or will we become a society with robots doing everything; I certainly hope not.